Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Injector Puffing/Injector Help

Views : 210

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 12th, 2024, 01:20   #1
UnstungBee

Default Injector Puffing/Injector Help

Hi all,

I decided to tackle replacing the swirl flaps on my '10 XC90 Euro 4 D5 as the arm was constantly detaching and oil was present around the valve cover gasket. When putting everything back together, I've noticed one of my injectors is puffing a bit of smoke when cold and very loudly ticking. I also smell either soot or oil in the cabin when idling. Leaving me to believe that either the injector is in poor shape and didn't like being removed and re-seated. Or the injector is just not sealed properly. I did replace all copper washers on the bottom of the injectors when re-seating them.

The car was also recently (before Swirl Flaps replacement) having a tiny bit of trouble starting when cold outside, I believed this to be from 2 faulty glow plugs (according to Vida), however, could this have also been the injector starting to go and now it's properly knackered?

Does anyone have any experience dealing with this? I have a VIDA therefore can check any values you may need. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Should I have replaced more than just the copper washer on the injector? Perhaps the metal mounting plate also needs to be replaced? Or should I just try and re-seat the injector first?

Cheers!
UnstungBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2024, 06:05   #2
GrahamBrown1
Register Keeper - S80, P2, and P3

Did you clean where the injector seats? You ideally should use a seat cutter to remove any burned on carbon. The seats need to be free from any deposits to ensure a good seal. No pressure should be used when using the tool, you don’t want to remove seat materiel just clean the surface. Sometimes the old screw driver and a rag trick isn’t enough for cleaning.

Also the injector clamps are one use only. They do not offer the same clamping force second time around. Volvo do an injector fitting kit for this reason with everything you need to refit the injector.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2024, 06:20   #3
UnstungBee

I appreciate the reply Graham.

After reading around a few other threads it seems that I am having a seating/sealing issue. It looks like kits for the injectors are quite expensive here in Australia.

I will purchase 5, pull the injectors out, clean the area, and re-seat them with the new hardware.

Cheers!
UnstungBee is offline   Reply With Quote