Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

I want to make my volvo 440 faster

Views : 1195

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 25th, 2013, 23:27   #1
Gripen443
NattyDawg

Default I want to make my volvo 440 faster

hey guys i have just got a volvo 440 1.8 SX its standard, done 29000 miles and is 19 years old, good condition, can anyone tell me how to make it faster without spending so much money
Gripen443 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 23:48   #2
SonyVaio
VOC Member

To be honest as it is a non turbo car there is very little that can be done (cheaply) to make it any faster.

You could get a free flowing exhaust, performance air filter but these will give you all of about 3 to 5 extra bhp so again really not worth the cost.

The best thing you can do is use good fuel (V-Power), this alone is about the best and cheapest thing you can do.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 23:52   #3
Anadinolin
VOC Member

Erm, in short...no. the 1.8 is pretty nippy as it is, i guess you could get an aftermarket performance air filter, and sports cat amd maybe a wider bore exhaust, but the 440^460's arent really worth doing much to. If you want a fast car for chips/peanuts, try the s40/v40 1996-1999 models T4 spec or maybe an 850 t5
If you really want a fast 400 series, do an engine transplant.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 23:52   #4
Gripen443
NattyDawg

thanks, ive heard that remapping the engine increses the acceleration and top speed in the 440quite a bit is this true or a made up?
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 23:59   #5
Anadinolin
VOC Member

Generally bogus, you need the turbo version of the 400 series for that...the factory sent em out with 130bhp, with an orangebox/richmod remap you jump up to 180 safely without modding the engine. You may have been confusing your engines? If you discover a way i would like to know..

My grandad changed the carb head to injector on my 460 before i inherited it, its got the injector and throttle from a 2.0, makes it throaty and a tad more responsive not sure on how much of a job it was, his garage was his space kind of thing.
The 1.8 carb is the same engine as the 1.8 clio btw (f3p engine code) renault 19's also have em
A turbo version of their early 1990's 1.8 engine should bolt straight in, i use the term should very loosely

Last edited by Anadinolin; Mar 26th, 2013 at 00:10.
Anadinolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 00:17   #6
Gripen443
NattyDawg

when you mean bolt straight on, do you mean bolt straight onto the renault 19? or bolt a turbo on? because im confused, i thout putting a turbo into a non turbo car is an expensive and lengthy process
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 00:21   #7
Anadinolin
VOC Member

I meant as in engine swap, but is it worth the hassle? Its not a guarantee that it will go straight into the 440 from the renault 19 but climbing around the scrapyards, the mounts n shape of the engines are pretty similar...for the hassle though, its better to stick with what you have or buy a turbo version.
You are spot on with turboing an N/A engine, gotta harden pistons, rods, camshaft etc.

Last edited by Anadinolin; Mar 26th, 2013 at 00:23.
Anadinolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 00:24   #8
Gripen443
NattyDawg

okay thanks for your help
The Following User Says Thank You to Gripen443 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 01:59   #9
Marty Dolomite
Premier Member

Cheapest option would be to buy a different car.
Marty Dolomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 07:27   #10
cookie
Lord B on T5D5.org

The 440 was designed to compensate for the fact the engine looses a bit of power with age, with a self lightening body work :chatterbox

best way to make it faster is to remove back seats, spare wheel. and any other surplus weight -

Last edited by cookie; Mar 26th, 2013 at 07:32.
cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cookie For This Useful Post: