Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > Parts - Sales and Wants > Generic Parts for Sale
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

FREE 4 Wheels + Tyres for Volvo 960

Views : 1842

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2013, 17:39   #1
Rod Langham

Default FREE 4 Wheels + Tyres for Volvo 960

I previously owned a Volvo 960 Saloon, which has now been scrapped. However, I have in my garage a set of 4 wheels fitted with winter tyres, which I used for one winter when working in Switzerland (Note that these are winter tyres with extra tread, and not studded tyres). These tyres are marked "205/55 R16 91Q Radial Tubeless NORD FROST3" and are on their own rims. These rims fit a Volvo 940? 960, but I don't know if they will fit other models.
I also have a set of chains for this size of wheel, and another set of chains for a previous Volvo 240. These are all available FREE to the collector (although I would hope that the collector would feel happy making a cheque donation to the RNLI in exchange). I would rather these nearly new tyres be put to good use, than to take them to a local tyre dealer for scrap (which would be a waste). I live in Berkshire/South Oxfordshire area, if you are thinking about collection.

Last edited by cumbrianmale; Sep 28th, 2013 at 11:45. Reason: OP request
Rod Langham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2013, 18:16   #2
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

850 or 940 / 960?

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2013, 19:46   #3
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Post updated. 960.

And a question.

The rims with the "winter tyres": are they steels or alloys.. ?

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 18:41   #4
minesa240x3
loyalty

Just wanted to point out these wheels are anything but free!
After contacting the original poster he told me he would gladly let me have them even though two other people had expressed an interest and wanted them but in a few weeks.
He was willing to let them down as I was closer and able to pick them up Saturday.

I then receive an email saying that once I see them I would surely add a 1 as the first digit to the cheque made out to RNLI.
That's ok by me as they are quite expensive.
I then receive an email today saying.Please let me know how much you are willing to donate as if it isn't high enough I will keep my word to one of the others and let them have them later.

I have variouse emails to back what I have said.

If he wanted a large contribution then advertise them as AVAILABLE to the highest donation bid by email.No problem with me if anyone does that.

But to say "FREE" and then put folks against each other is very wrong imho.

So these wheels are "NOT FREE" they are available to the highest bidder.

I donate to variouse charities but will not be pushed into bidding against fellow enthusiasts who apparently have already been offered them.

I therefore will not bother responding to rod's email as I find it distasteful and bullying.

Good luck to whoever gets them but be sure to bid high or he may let someone else have them.
Brian.

Last edited by minesa240x3; Sep 27th, 2013 at 18:41. Reason: 133v
minesa240x3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to minesa240x3 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 19:08   #5
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Don't like underhand dealings. Very Naughty !!!!!!!!!!!

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 20:11   #6
Laney760
VOC Member

Brian, so Rod asked you for £100 donation to the RNLI, you agreed, so the wheels & tyres were to be yours but then he didn't keep his word. No wonder you're annoyed

Current '96 945 2.3 lpt - Aurigas, tailgate spoiler, sports grille, lpg fuelled
Previous '88 764 TD, '92 945 TD, '88 745, '81 244 DL
Laney760 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laney760 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 22:06   #7
Rod Langham

All. Clearly, there is a very miffed Minesa (or should that be miser) out there who agreed to collect these wheels on Saturday, but would not commit to how much he would donate to the RNLI in exchange. I had not promised them to anybody, but 2 other responders were not able to collect this weekend - so that I could clear the garage. On pushing, he wouldn't even respond to emails! So naturally I told him that if he did not respond by EoD Friday then I would invite either of the others, although these could collect in a few weeks. So, my weekend plans to clear the garage are on hold, and the tyres (on non-alloy rims) are STILL AVAILABLE. I have no pecuniary advantage, but I would like (a) some bugger to make use of these wheels/tyres in VGC, (b) the RNLI to get a small donation. BTW: £100 was never mentioned - I invited your forum member to "tender". Clearly he has some kind of problem!
If anybody wants to collect these, please respond in the next 2 weeks - and suggest how much you would consider donating to charity. First come, first served ... despite what the guy with the problem thinks, I keep my word.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 22:11   #8
minesa240x3
loyalty

Well he didn't exactly ask for £100 exactly but here is the emails I received.

These are the emails sent on Wednesday.which could have been him????

ME)
Hello xxx I have only just seen your post on the forum.
As it was yesterday I imagine they are long gone?.
If not I would very much like them and extremely happy to give a donation to the RNLI,I live in xxxxxxxx Oxfordshire and could pick them up this weekend if that works for you"

(????)
Still available-they are for a 960(not 840 as I wrote-'cos my number plate was xxx 864x,which played tricks on my memory.
XXXXXXXX is1/2 hour away-and two other responders can't collect for several weeks.Would this sat be convenient(I'm out on sun).

Me)
Hello thank you for such a quick response.
Yes this Saturday would be fine in fact my dear wife said we could go shopping there for a change.
If you could give the time that best suits you and address details I will confirm all is ok.

(????)
Ok-I suggest 2pm sat.
I live xxxxxx.etc.
I shall get the wheels out of the garage.
What kind of amount do you think is a suitable donation to RNLI? Please bring a cheque payable to RNLI (Although I think your amount might add a leading digit-1 when you the good the condition of these tyres!)

Thursdays emails.

(????)
Can you please confirm the time on sat is ok, and tell me how much you would donate to RNLI.(If your donation is insufficiently generous, then I'd prefer to go back to one of the others who responded to my posting.Unlike them,you don't have much petrol costs,so I'm anticipating your generosity!)

(????)
If I don't get a response from you sometime tomorrow(Friday) then I shall have to go back to one of the guys' up north and arrange a date with them in the next few weeks. Once I have done this, then I will keep my word to them(that's only fair)
It's really in your hands(although I realise that you don't always respond promptly-since you were only 3rd to respond to my posting on voc) But I do(a)want to be shot of these wheels, and(b)get as good a donation as possible for my charity, the RNLI.

I think a sufficient donation is whatever some one is happy to pay?
I was not expecting to be cohearsed into paying a suggested amount. However I would be happy to pay what I can afford £100 and feel comfortable in doing so as things are not exactly good here,After all my only transport is my 740 so with my families welfare in mind I would like some snow tyres for when things are bad and we have to venture out in it.

If I had more money I could easily go on the bay and take my chances for a reasonable used set.They may not even get used so I cannot justify good money on them.

So good on him for trying to raise as much money as he can for a very worthy cause.But do not say the are "FREE" and then start suggesting what should be payed.

Maybe I'm over sensitive but I feel a bit miffed.
Brian.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 22:20   #9
minesa240x3
loyalty

Thank you for actually coming on here since your first post and letting everyone know how things are.
Yes I am miffed and am I to take it your suggestion of a start figure in your email was £1 or £19?
Because that doesn't sound at all reasonable and won't benefit your charity very much..
And dear rod many many people on here have met and known me for many years and you won't score any brownie points by trying to make out I'm something I'm not.
I am honest polite,reasonable and very helpful and willing person who will help out anyone who needs it.
May I suggest as you joined in 2007 and only posted once in all that time after already scrapping your car you advertise your items more clearly as misunderstandings can and do happen.

So please state the figure you want and maybe some kind person(maybe even me) will pay that amount.
Why disguise what you really want.

Brian.
I had not read your emails regarding the pickup time or any emails until tonight when I got home.So pushing me was not correct as I was not aware.

RNLI =Rod ? Langham ?

Last edited by minesa240x3; Sep 27th, 2013 at 23:41.
Old Sep 27th, 2013, 22:33   #10
Rod Langham

What a waste of 4 tyres & wheels to go to a scrapyard for want of a charitable contribution!
Oh well, clearly the Big Society doesn't work.
Since I no longer own a Volvo - have a nice life all. Unlike Arnie - I won't be back...

Tags
free, tyres, wheels