Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyre info.

Views : 716

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 30th, 2024, 16:54   #1
Mick787

Default Tyre info.

And another superb bit of marketing. Two of my tyres could do with changing, getting a bit low on the front, still legal but it's nearing the time. The car is fitted with Michelin Cross Climates, 235 60 R18 107W and the rear ones still have 5mm on them. So far they've done just over 28k miles which isn't bad.

Guess what, they no longer sell the 107W rated tyre it's now a 107V. Yep, the tyre fitting companies refuse to fit two 107V's with the existing 107W's, so I have to buy a complete set. You can imagine the sounds of joy when I was repeatedly told the same news by the various companies I tried.

OK some say that 5 years is about the life of a tyre but when it can cost around £700 a set, every little bit helps. They've been on 3.5 years.

Last edited by Mick787; May 30th, 2024 at 16:56.
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2024, 20:07   #2
mcouchard
Master Member

Are you in the UK if so they are talking rubbish, speed rating isn't an issue. Check what the handbook says and make sure you match that speed rating so the insurance company are happy if V is lower which I doubt just check with you insurer. Years ago when I started putting winter tyres on I checked and the insurance company said they don't care about the speed rating as long as they are legal tread depth. A speed rating on V is upto 149mph and W is 168mph. Not sure what spec you have got but V is over twice the speed limit so think your okay. Try another tyre place or buy the tyres in black circles and book fitting in a local independent.

P.S. From the Volvo website:
XC60 - https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...a801512b3c764e - So anything H or above
V60 - https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support...a801512b3c764e - Anything V or above on your size.

Last edited by mcouchard; May 30th, 2024 at 20:25.
mcouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2024, 22:21   #3
MacV50
Master Member

He's not taking rubbish. I had exactly the same issue at Costco recently when I had a slow puncture. If they hadn't been able to repair then the two options were

1. to replace all 4 tyres. Was never going to happen as the rears were a month old
2. Replace the pontus l punctured tyre with another brand of tyre in a 107W rating

Luckily, the puncture was repairable but I'll still
potentially face the problem in future

No idea why Michelin had chosen to discontinue the 107W
Old May 30th, 2024, 22:49   #4
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick787 View Post
And another superb bit of marketing. Two of my tyres could do with changing, getting a bit low on the front, still legal but it's nearing the time. The car is fitted with Michelin Cross Climates, 235 60 R18 107W and the rear ones still have 5mm on them. So far they've done just over 28k miles which isn't bad.

Guess what, they no longer sell the 107W rated tyre it's now a 107V. Yep, the tyre fitting companies refuse to fit two 107V's with the existing 107W's, so I have to buy a complete set. You can imagine the sounds of joy when I was repeatedly told the same news by the various companies I tried.

OK some say that 5 years is about the life of a tyre but when it can cost around £700 a set, every little bit helps. They've been on 3.5 years.
Why not do a tyre rotation? Swap the ones with the lower tread to the back and the ones with the most tread to the front? Make sure you get them re-balanced of course.

I know tyres aren't cheap, but at least this way you'll get the most out of them before they all need changing. It could save you money in the interim at least.

I'm not sure which companies you contacted as you didn't say, but I know some of the big ones like Costco can be really picky. Its almost like they grip you by the goolies and almost force you into buying a whole set of tyres when you only need one or two. Try some small independent places if you haven't already. Or, rotate the tyres for now. Sounds like they've been on the car for a good while and they're still legal, so I see no issue swapping them around and that'll give you time to find a better deal.

Last edited by Kev0607; May 30th, 2024 at 22:52.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old May 31st, 2024, 08:42   #5
Mick787

MacV50, yep, Costco. I didn't quite trust the response, but then I had the same from KwikFit and also a local small tyre fitting/supply business. Buying 4 new tyres from Costco saves over £200. If the response from a company, irrespective of its size, is that they wont fit tyres of different ratings, the instruction has come from somewhere in the tyre industry and not just from one manufacturer/retailer.

In respect of whether it is rubbish or not, if I rant and rave at them quoting speed ratings, the fitters wont fit the tyres, stating it is a mis-match, simple. One guy said that AWD is the same as 4 wheel drive, pointless arguing, just walk away, they still wont fit them.

The tyres could be rotated I guess, but there is still the issue that two of them will need to be replaced very shortly. I guess it's much like anything these days, manufacturers change the spec and customers have to buy new because there is no support for what you had bought. I have no doubt the insurance companies will be aware of this in the event of a crash. It will be something for their assessors to check in order to reduce a payment.

Last edited by Mick787; May 31st, 2024 at 08:55.
Old May 31st, 2024, 10:52   #6
Cloth Ears

It seems it's not recommended to mix V and W, but it doesn't seem to be illegal but you should make sure each axle has the same speed rating on both sides of the car.

That said, I've driven a van where one new tyre completely upset the handling, so I can understand the wariness.

https://www.blackcircles.com/helpcen...0the%20vehicle.

If it were me, I'd rotate the tyres as suggested over the summer, by which time they'd probably all be evening up so a full set would make sense in time for the winter weather. New tyres have around 8mm of tread, so if the rears have only worn to 5mm in 28k miles, but the fronts have worn to 3.5mm, that suggests swapping would get you another 10k or so before the (now) rears got close to the limit, by which time the (now) fronts would probably be down close to 3mm too.

I'm confused at your comment about AWD - I thought this was Volvo's term for 4 wheel drive.

Last edited by Cloth Ears; May 31st, 2024 at 10:57.
Cloth Ears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2024, 12:02   #7
4x4
Premier Member

CrossClimate tyres are directional therefore can only be swapped front/rear, they cannot be put on the opposite side
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2024, 16:04   #8
mcouchard
Master Member

You can also of course fit other all season tyres that may have a W rating for example the Goodyear vector 4 are award winning. Plus many brands now have an all season offering but it is perfectly legal to have different speed ratings in separate axles.
Next time ask the fitters to provide evidence as to why and see them go quiet it's just a con. Kwik fit are a joke I have never used Costco. Try National, F1 auto centers or a smaller place that will be just thankful for the business.
Old May 31st, 2024, 16:25   #9
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcouchard View Post
You can also of course fit other all season tyres that may have a W rating for example the Goodyear vector 4 are award winning. Plus many brands now have an all season offering but it is perfectly legal to have different speed ratings in separate axles.
Next time ask the fitters to provide evidence as to why and see them go quiet it's just a con. Kwik fit are a joke I have never used Costco. Try National, F1 auto centers or a smaller place that will be just thankful for the business.
Exactly. Its legal here. I don't know why some tyre companies are more picky than others. Some places wouldn't even look at the speed rating!
Old Jun 1st, 2024, 12:18   #10
Mick787

Goodyear 4's may be award winning, just like many a bottle of wine. Wink wink. But after seeing a pair of Vector 4 seasons yesterday that we fitted to the wife's Toyota IQ 3 years ago having lumps of tread parting from the carcass and requiring immediate replacement. I think it may not be a good choice for me to make, but that is my opinion and I'm not a person to judge what is a good bottle of wine. I've bit the bullet and will be getting another full set of Cross Climates, 'V' rated. They should give me peace of mind and not such a large dent in the pocket as if I had gone to another retailer.

Whilst it may be legal to fit tyres with different speed ratings in pairs on different axles, the fitters may not do it.

Thanks for all the comments, just to let members know, this is what I experienced and if you have W rated Cross Climates fitted, it appears they are no longer made. Please bear this in mind when you check your vehicle and if you do find any W rated on sale, then check their dates and ensure you are happy. These things aren't cheap and cost should not impact on personal safety. It todays time though, it may have to.