Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Failed mot please help

Views : 2574

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2022, 18:45   #1
ThomasC91

Default Failed mot please help

Failed due to suspension arm ball join dust cover no longer prevents the ingress of dirt offside front upper.

Also headlights, both aim too low.

This is at Kwik fit, he's going to get me a quote and ring me tomorrow for the ball joint. He tried to ring today, but it they were closed due to the time. He didn't mention about the lights.

I have done some research and am I correct in thinking they won't just replace the cover?

How much will this roughly cost?

I'm so broke

My car's an S90 2016 inscription
ThomasC91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2022, 19:04   #2
ocicat

If my experience is anything to go by a lot of the "insert descriptive word" people doing MOT's don't know how to set the light tester up and set it too high or low for the car and say the lights are wrong had it a couple of times and had to readjust lights afterwards.

Alan
Old Jul 13th, 2022, 19:05   #3
SnineT
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC91 View Post
Failed due to suspension arm ball join dust cover no longer prevents the ingress of dirt offside front upper.

Also headlights, both aim too low.

Needs a diagnostic tool to set them up, they may not have one

This is at Kwik fit, he's going to get me a quote and ring me tomorrow for the ball joint. He tried to ring today, but it they were closed due to the time. He didn't mention about the lights.

Sounds reasonable given the time of day

I have done some research and am I correct in thinking they won't just replace the cover?

Not worth trying, the whole part is easier to replace in one

How much will this roughly cost?

Not sure, it'll be the labour rather than the part cost if it stacks up, I'd set aside £100 - £300 for it

I'm so broke

My car's an S90 2016 inscription
Bit of a contradiction of terms that one

I get it, things change and things aren't always as they appear on the surface, hope you get it sorted ok, the other option is get the MOT done and trade it to WBAC and downsize a bit until things improve for you, that's my plan atm anyway.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2022, 19:05   #4
ThomasC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocicat View Post
If my experience is anything to go by a lot of the "insert descriptive word" people doing MOT's don't know how to set the light tester up and set it too high or low for the car and say the lights are wrong had it a couple of times and had to readjust lights afterwards.

Alan
I hope they can reset them because they've listed it as a fail at the minute
Old Jul 13th, 2022, 19:09   #5
ThomasC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
Bit of a contradiction of terms that one

I get it, things change and things aren't always as they appear on the surface, hope you get it sorted ok, the other option is get the MOT done and trade it to WBAC and downsize a bit until things improve for you, that's my plan atm anyway.
Thank you.

I love my car, I'm not swapping. I can manage, but could do without it for the sake of a bit of rubber.

I will clarify tomorrow then because it's pointless them doing the work if it's still going to fail because of the lights if they can't adjust them
The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasC91 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2022, 19:13   #6
SnineT
Premier Member

Quote:
Thank you.

I love my car, I'm not swapping. I can manage, but could do without it for the sake of a bit of rubber.

I will clarify tomorrow then because it's pointless them doing the work if it's still going to fail because of the lights if they can't adjust them

Yeah I know that feeling, mines banged up and although I want another one I'm going to step back and read the room for a while.
Old Jul 13th, 2022, 19:15   #7
SnineT
Premier Member

Quote:
Thank you.

They set the LED ones with a tablet, one mech sits in the car near a dark wall and the other wanders about catching the beam and adjusting it on the tablet,

You may find they will adjust them foc if you're having the ball joint done with them assuming they can adjust them.
Old Jul 14th, 2022, 09:58   #8
neilgorin

The lights are unlikely to have suddenly moved by themselves.

I would be tempted to get an MOT done elsewhere or at least take it to another MOT garage and ask them if the lights seem low - Kwik Fit aren't the best at anything in my experience.
neilgorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2022, 10:08   #9
ThomasC91

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilgorin View Post
The lights are unlikely to have suddenly moved by themselves.

I would be tempted to get an MOT done elsewhere or at least take it to another MOT garage and ask them if the lights seem low - Kwik Fit aren't the best at anything in my experience.
To be fair I've always thought they have been quite low, but it was serviced by Volvo in May and there was no mention of it there just an advisory that my wipers need replacing, something Kwik fit haven't picked up.... I thought it was going to fail on my windscreen wipers being blunt if anything.

I will wait to see what they quote me and then decide if I go elsewhere.
Old Jul 14th, 2022, 10:27   #10
SnineT
Premier Member

Quote:
To be fair I've always thought they have been quite low, but it was serviced by Volvo in May and there was no mention of it there just an advisory that my wipers need replacing, something Kwik fit haven't picked up.... I thought it was going to fail on my windscreen wipers being blunt if anything.

I will wait to see what they quote me and then decide if I go elsewhere.
As Neil said it's hard to imagine how a bulb-less headlight held securely with 2 bolts and 2 screws has somehow gone out of adjustment all by itself unless the headlights were never set right and it's been ignored at service time ever since,

The wipers could hold a clue here, have a look at them, if there are no splits or rubber deterioration and they clear the screen fine then it's starting to look like Volvo dealer has primed you for some additional work thinking you were going to them for an MOT, sinister but not unheard of,

Also this ball joint should've been remarked on when they serviced it, they generally show signs of wear/cracking/perishing before they split so spin both ways left to right your front wheel on the side it's failed and see if you can see any of the joints with a black rubber cushion with any grease coming from it to determine if it has actually split or whether Kwik Fit are looking for work or not.