Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60 Transmission Service Required

Views : 3098

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2013, 19:59   #1
Bristoldoug

Default S60 Transmission Service Required

Hi all,

Im hoping someone can help me with the following.

I inherited a Volvo S60 today from a family member.
Its a 2004 2.0t SE Petrol Automatic.
89000 miles
It has a full Volvo service history.

On driving the car home it was fine until pulling away from a set of traffic lights when it seemed to race in first or second gear before changing up and then behaving normally again. At this point the 'warning light' popped up with the 'Transmission Service Required' message and also the icon that looks like an engine.

A quick check on google says best case a transmission fluid change required - worst case new gearbox (which would not be cost effective at all).
I also saw mention of a software update that can be done to aid the issue?

Family member reports he had not seen either of these lights. I was given the car so am sure that is the case and its just my bad luck that it has happened.

So im in need of advice please.

Take to a Volvo dealer or Independant for a proper diagnosis?
Any recommendations in Bristol area?
Best case scenario what will a fluid change cost me?
What will the software update cost me?

Any thoughts or advice much appreciated.

Regards

Jim
Bristoldoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2013, 20:38   #2
RM955I
Premier Member

How handy are you with the spanners? You only need the most basic level of ability to do this yourself.

There are 2 methods (the mods should make this one a 'sticky'!)....'sump dump' and 'Gibbons method': the former is easiest. All you need to do is drop the contents of the sump, measure carefully what you've taken out and then refill using the same quantity of new JWS3309 spec oil (if AW50/55). Opie oils do Millermatic ATF SPiii which is used by a few, me included, but the more anal insist on Volvo fluid for only reasons they understand. 5 lts of SPiii costs about 35 quid depending on any Opie offers at the time.

I'm assuming yours has the aw50/55 box (5sp) so ONLY refill via the dipstick with a suitable funnel - Halfords do an orange flexi funnel which is a perfect fit.

You will need to do this a few hundred miles apart, ideally 3 or 4 times - if you do a lot of miles like me, I left it 500-1000 miles apart. Personally I would do the ATF before spending on software updates: these are a bone of contention as some insist it is essential/mandatory and other have experienced problems after the update. I have never had mine done - I bought the car at 88k, it now has 118k and it shifts just fine.
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 00:17   #3
jgjones095
Master Member

i had the same thing happen to me after buying my 2001 v70xc volvo

my box locked in limp mode and drove in 3rd.
once switched off and the car cooled it drive fine.

I had no choice but then this happened to me I was on the other side of the country preparing to drive home, so had to find the local Volvo dealership to see what they could do.

They updated the software and recommended a fluid change.
I needed to leave so couldnt take the change.
Fluid change from volvo is around £200+
The software was £75

I also asked them to check the levels but was then told that there was no way to check the level on the gearbox.
Little did I know at the time there was a dipstick level.
This explains why I don't trust dealerships monkeys!

Anyway, when the car was cold is was ok, but the longer / hotter it got the worse it got.
Still lasted the drive home. (mostly motorway cursing in 5th)

however over time it got worse again and flared badly, so I knew I needed to change the fluid.
The message also returned. however a code reader allows me to clear the message, but the problem stills exists.

are there any other symptoms you are experiencing?
Flaring - when shifting say from 2 - 3 the revs increase slightly
Clunks - when dropping from say 3-2

First check I'd do is gearbox fluid level / check there are no leaks under the car.
Also check the condition of all the gearbox mounts.

Anyway as RMI says if you are handy with a spanner is it easy to change the fluid yourself and save ££!
Plenty of guides online.
make sure you get the correct spec fluid.
I'd also recommend fitting an external filter.

2.4t V70XC Auto 2001 165k
D5 185 XC70 M66 2006 202k
jgjones095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 01:10   #4
Sej

I don’t know of or have used any independents in the Bristol area, but from my own experience I do recommend authorised Volvo dealer MRG who are in Chippenham (SN14 OGX)

When I first got my S60 last January it needed a 96K service so I took it to City Motors at St Phillips, I also asked them to change the auto transmission fluid and they said it would cost around £50, the invoice line has the following text for this and I’ve grouped them into brackets:

(V01161640) (120699/TRANSMISION) (Qty 1.00) (Unit Price 47.40) (Unit EACH 12.00) (Net Total 41.72)
Sej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 13:11   #5
Bristoldoug

Thanks for all the replies.

I managed to check the Automatic Transmission fluid state and level. I would say its light brown/red in colour but it was above the HOT level when checked after leaving overnight - i.e cold engine.

Seems I would be best draining and starting from scratch perhaps?

Assuming that a drain and refill fixes the issue (I live in hope) is it ok to drive with the warning light on - or does this need to be cleared to resolve the issues completely?
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 15:17   #6
RM955I
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristoldoug View Post
I would say its light brown/red in colour but it was above the HOT level when checked after leaving overnight - i.e cold engine.
If it looks light brown/red on the dipstick (with just the thinnest of coatings on a yellow backgroud!), the ATF is probably black if you drop it and look at it in a glass!

sounds like it's over-full - not good. I'd drop the sump and then refill minus 1ltr, adjusting as neccessary
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 18:13   #7
Bristoldoug

Thanks RM9551.
I have taken the car out today to try and diagnose what issues the transmission has.

Things I have noticed are:-
A definite clunk when selecting Drive from Park - 2 second delay before it engages gear id say.
There does seem to be an issue when its cold - seems better when it warms up.

One thing id like to ask though - how do I know what gear im actually in (its the 5 speed box)?
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 18:18   #8
RM955I
Premier Member

You don't know - there's no indicator so you'll have to count the shifts from 1st
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 19:56   #9
harvomark
Mitsideserter

Hi,

I have the same issue, mine jumps from drive to 1st and the transmission service comes up. This happens periodically and i clear the codes with a Clarke code reader and it will be fine. Managed to tow a twin axle to the south of France without issues, i am going down the route of sump dumps to see if it sorts it out then i'll get the neutrel stop removed.

let you know how it goes.
harvomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 19:54   #10
Bristoldoug

I drove the car today and it seemed to behave without fault - no clunks or flares on a round trip of 50 miles. Im starting to wonder if it behaved the way it did because it had not been driven for 3 weeks and was parked on a steep incline for all of that time.
Either way im still planning to change the ATF this weekend as im sure that is the cause (fingers crossed anyway).

Tags
transmission service