Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Imagine my confusion when....

Views : 836

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2022, 10:28   #1
Crazy L

Default Imagine my confusion when....

I decided to replace my front discs n pads for the mot next week. So, I find there are several sizes. I hold a tape rule roughly up against the wheel. Looks like 280, maybe 290. Oh look, there is 278 and 280.

Then I read on here earlier the number is stamped on the caliper. OK, so I have to take a blooming wheel off now to find out what to buy before I buy it.

Number on caliper says 320, OK, but I'll measure disc while wheel is off, being from an engineering background. Out comes my 300mm vernier. 300 disc. hmmm.

Wow, need pads too obviously. The gap in the caliper is around 155-156, But there's more. Pads for the 280 discs are 155, and the pads for 320 discs are 156. I've yet to measure height, but thuck me, why is it such a pain in the sphincter to buy service parts? Gotta take stuff apart, measure everything, tehn put it back together before going to buy it, mental.
Old Jul 16th, 2022, 11:04   #2
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Biggest clue I can suggest is are yours vented? i.e double sided with slots in the middle like a sandwich vs single solid discs like the rears probably are,

I had the same issue with an Insignia and it turned out of the three available I had the middle sized ones, generally the largest size will be only on the GTRSZTCC4000R hypothetical wanna race mate spec models.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2022, 14:52   #3
Simmy
Premier Member

bigger discs tend to be on t5 or d5s ie faster or heaver cars unless some one has done an upgrade to the braking system without wanting to compound the problem its likely there are 2 types of caliper also. brakes international are a good source of info in there on line catalogue with good prices on brake components they also sell caliper rebuild kits.
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 17th, 2022, 11:32   #4
Crazy L

Cheers for the replies guys.

I bought a pair of 300mm discs, and I took a punt on the pads too. There are two sizes of pads, 62mm high, and 73 or something. I took an educated guess by offering up a rule to the discs braking surface and bought the 62mm high ones.

I was correct, so did the job yesterday afternoon.

I just think it's a bit mental that there are so many options. I'm not familiar with Volvos tbh, I've only had it a year but spent the previous 2 decades driving VAG, and then they were older ones.

If one isn't mechanically minded, buying car parts can be confusing as hell. simple thing like brakes and you're faced with 4 sizes of disc and 2 sizes of pad.

So anyway, 2008 V50 2.0D R design, 300mm disc, 62mm pad.
Old Jul 19th, 2022, 21:30   #5
Simmy
Premier Member

great news that you got there in the end its very satisfying when you suss out a problem
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 21st, 2022, 14:24   #6
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy L View Post
Cheers for the replies guys.

I bought a pair of 300mm discs, and I took a punt on the pads too. There are two sizes of pads, 62mm high, and 73 or something. I took an educated guess by offering up a rule to the discs braking surface and bought the 62mm high ones.

I was correct, so did the job yesterday afternoon.

I just think it's a bit mental that there are so many options. I'm not familiar with Volvos tbh, I've only had it a year but spent the previous 2 decades driving VAG, and then they were older ones.

If one isn't mechanically minded, buying car parts can be confusing as hell. simple thing like brakes and you're faced with 4 sizes of disc and 2 sizes of pad.

So anyway, 2008 V50 2.0D R design, 300mm disc, 62mm pad.
this is where a main dealer comes in
you provide the reg or vin, then ask them the price and "oh what size ?" on things like this,, then sod off and get them wherever you wish
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 21st, 2022, 16:05   #7
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
this is where a main dealer comes in
you provide the reg or vin, then ask them the price and "oh what size ?" on things like this,, then sod off and get them wherever you wish
Very true! I do this quite often!
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 21st, 2022, 16:33   #8
Simmy
Premier Member

or buy both sizes with a credit card and return the ones you dont need for a re fund
Old Jul 21st, 2022, 17:17   #9
Crazy L

My experience of so called main dealers is less than favourable.

I can tell you free that Portsmouth Audi are pricks, as are, or were, Peter Cooper VW, also in Portsmouth. Oh yeah, and Sparshatts Skoda in Botley, about as useless as Boris johnson in a truth telling competition.
Old Jul 21st, 2022, 18:21   #10
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy L View Post
My experience of so called main dealers is less than favourable.

I can tell you free that Portsmouth Audi are pricks, as are, or were, Peter Cooper VW, also in Portsmouth. Oh yeah, and Sparshatts Skoda in Botley, about as useless as Boris johnson in a truth telling competition.
So! when does your new Seat arrive?
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote