Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Knocking/clunking noise front n/s v70

Views : 1387

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 8th, 2019, 14:46   #1
shezza250

Default Knocking/clunking noise front n/s v70

Hi all,

I've had a knocking/clunking noise from the front n/s of my 2005 v70 2.4 petrol for about 6 months now, I've also had a lighter more frequent rattle/knock.

The loud knock/clunk was quite infrequent initially but then one day there were a few really bad knocks so put it in the local garage. They looked at it, put it on shaker plate etc but found nothing wrong.

It carried on doing the loud knock/clunk every now & then and this week I noticed I had a torn cv boot on the affected side so put the car in for a new boot & to investigate the knocks.

They said the cv joint looked really dry/knackered so advised a new one as well as the boot so they did that. They also advised new anti-roll bar links could be causing the lighter knock/rattle so have also renewed those.

The more mild, frequent knock/rattle has now gone but the loud knock/clunk remains the same!

I've inspected the gromits on the wishbone/anti roll bar etc and all appears ok. The track rod end ball joint also looks good.

Any ideas as I'm now £275 down & not much further forward!!

Cheers
shezza250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 14:47   #2
shezza250

p.s I've also checked engine mounts which look good.
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 14:56   #3
MarvinMitt

What about strut top mounts?
What's the mileage?
Is it bumpy road or when accelerating/braking or cornering?
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 15:01   #4
shezza250

Strut top mounts I've not looked at.....

78K miles

Seems to do it more after going over speed bumps etc. If on a bumpy-ish road it seems to do it once every 5-10 mins or so.
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 16:29   #5
Simmy
Premier Member

take a good look at your wishbone bushes . pry them with lever to find any movement which may cause knocking
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 18:49   #6
nickh1978

I also have a knocking on cornering (right only, not when cornering left) and it has also been suggested that I check my Top Strut Mounts.

Any thoughts on what I should be looking for on the strut mounts? Excessive play? damaged bearings? something else?

Cheers, N.
nickh1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2019, 19:47   #7
Simmy
Premier Member

rusted top spring mount and strut bearing
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 10:31   #8
MarvinMitt

Rust doesn't tell much as my top mount bearing plates are quite rusty but bearings are smooth.
Look for the bushing where the strut rod comes through. The top big rubber coated washer is hiding the view but you can see for any cracks in the bushings.
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 15:59   #9
Willow place

On one side I have quite a bit of clearance from the top of the turret to the actual rubber bush, no clonks, no difference in ride height, any ideas please (V70, D5, 2003)
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2019, 20:02   #10
Kattten

On my S80 2.4l 2002 i jacked the car up at each corner and placed a 8 inch garden hose around the spring as far down as possible . Secured it with zip ties. It is kinda comon for the P2 cars to have clunks without anything wrong. There are volvo parts to put on the springs but garden hose works and is more or less a free way to diagnose. I cut a 8inch part of the hose and the cut it along its lengt to alide it on to the spring.
Kattten is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kattten For This Useful Post: