Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

245 GLE rather spartan trim level

Views : 1672

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 23rd, 2023, 16:15   #1
Peter222

Default 245 GLE rather spartan trim level

Hi,

I am the new-ish owner of a 1979 245GLE injection automatic. GLE as I read means "Grand Luxe Executive" so one might expect a cocktail cabinet, climate control and heated seats. However, the only thiings I have which seem remotely GLE are

1. Leather seats
2. rev counter
3. electric antenna (which doesn't work)
4. rear window and headlamp wipers

I do NOT have (what the 1979 brochure states)

1. electric windows, not even front
2. power steering
3. extra lighting (rear fog lights)
4. alloy wheels
5. sunroof
6. tinted glass
7. heated front seats

I'm very confused by the Volvo trim letters. They seem to mean something different each year, or are described differently in brochures of the same year.

That manual steering is a bummer on a 2-ton car, although it will help with toning my biceps.

Would it be normal or common to lack the electric windows and power steering at Grande Luxe Executive level?

Last edited by Peter222; Feb 23rd, 2023 at 17:16.
Peter222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2023, 16:49   #2
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter222 View Post
Hi,

I am the new-ish owner of a 1979 245GLE injection automatic. GLE as I read means "Grand Luxe Executive" so one might expect a cocktail cabinet, climate control and heated seats. However, the only thiings I have which seem remotely GLE are

1. Leather seats
2. rev counter
3. electric antenna (which doesn't work)
4. rear window and headlamp wipers

I do NOT have

1. electric windows, not even front
2. power steering
3. extra lighting
4. alloy wheels

I'm very confused by the Volvo trim letters. They seem to mean something different each year, or are described differently in brochures of the same year.

That manual steering is a bummer on a 2-ton car, although it will help with toning my biceps.

Would it be normal or common to lack the electric windows and power steering at Grande Luxe Executive level?
The Volvo trim specs at the time were:

L - Not, as far as I am aware, ever officially imported to the UK. You are talking rubber floor mats and not much else.

DL - the entry model in the UK. Specs varied, gradually improving year on year as the cars matured, with lower spec cars gaining some of the attributes of those above it.

GL - added a few more goodies

GLE - Top of the range with comfort emphasis

GLT - Ditto but more sports (if a Volvo can be called sporting) orientated.

So, your GLE would have been the top spec and equipment should have been comprehensive relative to the year.

At this distance in time and without an original catalogue, it is hard to be specific, but I can tell you that our '75, '78 and '80 2-series cars did not have PS, while our '81 244 DL and later ones did. Maybe it was an option on earlier cars, but, coming from non-assisted 1-series cars we did not miss it - the R+P set up on the 2-series was much lighter even when unassisted. In fact, we felt that PS rendered the car's steering uncomfortably light.

Most of our 2-series cars had steel wheels; the exception being our '83 245 GLT which, perhaps because it was also a diplomatic purchase when new, was 'fully loaded', even down to having factory air-con.

The spec that you describe for your car strikes me as being not unlike that of an early DL. Is it possible that a previous owner might have re-badged it in a bid to convince the Joneses next door that they had bought a more upmarket car than, in fact, they had?! Doesn't make a lot of difference now, but it might have then, and could explain the apparent discrepancy in specifications.

Regards, John.

P.S. I don't think that the GLE ever came with a 2.0 litre engine, so that would also be indicative of a lower spec car. I would expect yours to have at least the 2.1, possibly the 2.3 engine. J.

Last edited by john.wigley; Feb 23rd, 2023 at 16:56. Reason: Add PS
john.wigley is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2023, 19:10   #3
Peter222

Thanks John, that's what I thought, GLE should be the top spec with every possible extra.

I nosed around the web a bit and found a 1979 UK brochure http://www.volvotips.com/brochures/2...K-brochure.pdf, which states:

The higher performance 244 GLE is the top of the 244 range. The 244 GLE is for the discerning motorist who appreciates the traditional Volvo virtues, but wants the extra power and enjoyment this car can provide. The 2.1 litre fuel injected engine develops 123hp (DIN). The specification includes 4 speed manual gearbox with overdrive on 4th gear or 3 speed automatic transmission, metallic finish,
tinted glass, tachometer, headlamp wiper/washers, halogen headlights, sunroof, integral rear fog lights, colour keyed head restraints and door panels, carpeted boot, disc brakes all round, heated driver's seat plus special badging.

I compared with this completely diifferent 1979 UK brochure https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/pdf/bro.../Volvo1979.pdf and there are differences, e.g. the first gives a sunroof as standard on the GLE, the second not. So even Volvo got confused. No wonder I am.

My GLE badges seem original including the one on the steering wheel, and the V5 also states GLE so I think it must be a GLE.

I do have the B21E 2.1 engine with K-Jetronic, so 122 or 123 hp.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter222 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2023, 19:49   #4
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

All 1979 models have either one (estates) or two (saloon) rear fog lights.

Saloons had a slide-only steel sunroof either as standard (GLE,GLT) or as an option. There was an optional pop-up glass sunroof available for the estates.

Alloy wheels were standard on all GLT - steel ones were a "Delete" option - and later GLE models.

PAS is not essential if the car has 14" wheels, even with 185/70/14 tyres, and not necessarily essential with 15" rims. Properly set up the manual rack is fine and sharp.

There should be switches either side of the handbrake for the heated front seats.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2023, 20:50   #5
Peter222

Thank you for some solid information.

From your post it seems there may be nothiing missing from my GLE. I suppose the specs got more luxurious in time, in line with customer demand.

And I should not forget that I'm used to a middle-aged luxury car, which I got rid of to comply with ULEZ rules (the same reason I got the 245, i.e. ULEZ exempt).

That car also had power steering so a switch back to manual is hard work. I have 14 inch wheels and on the move it feels fine, but parking in a 6m space is laborious. My girlfriend actually gave up, she isn't strong enough. You mention setting up the rack & pinion, is there any way I could check if it's right?

Perhaps with the advancing 40 year historic vehicle limit, I'll be able to go for a later model at some point, or a 740/760 estate. Meanwhile this one will do me very well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter222 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2023, 20:56   #6
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Just a thought; is it possible to submit the VIN to Volvo and request the original build sheet on a 40+ y.o. motor car? That would hopefully also include any options and / or variations from standard. Failing that, it may have to remain one of life's unsolved mysteries, in which case you probably have a very rare vehicle!

Regards, John.
Old Feb 23rd, 2023, 21:00   #7
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

AFAIK, all 2-series cars had rack and pinion steering from it's introduction in 1975. IIRC, all possible adjustments / settings (toe in/out, camber, etc.) are detailed in the book of Haynes for the car. J.

Last edited by john.wigley; Feb 23rd, 2023 at 21:05.
john.wigley is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2023, 22:27   #8
Lucien
VOC Member

I think power steering became standard on all 244/245 in 1980? Haven't checked the brochures though. Metallic paint, fuel injection, plush or leather (leather maybe an option) and does it have the wide oblong headlights as opposed to square? Someone may have deleted the power front windows.
Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lucien For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 23rd, 2023, 23:24   #9
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien View Post
I think power steering became standard on all 244/245 in 1980? Haven't checked the brochures though. Metallic paint, fuel injection, plush or leather (leather maybe an option) and does it have the wide oblong headlights as opposed to square? Someone may have deleted the power front windows.
That would certainly fit with our cars, 'Lucien'. Our '81(X) car had PS while our '80(V) was innocent of it. It is also true regarding Volvo and (no cost) options. Our '83(Y) GLT, which was very highly specified, only had a blue plush pin striped interior - which we actually preferred - as opposed to the standard fit leather.

Regards, John.
Old Feb 24th, 2023, 00:03   #10
Bob 1967
Master Member

Mine is '77 with PS.
Has a conversion been done by any members previously?