Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B234f Needed

Views : 747

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2014, 13:25   #1
averill

Default B234f Needed

Hello all. I'm looking to build a B230 block to B234f head engine, but I'm having trouble finding a head.

If anyone has a complete car, engine or just the cylinder head that they are willing to part with for the right money can you please contact me.

My preference is just the head or engine but if I find a nice enough car complete with a B234 engine, it shall be used for the entire build so shall live on!

I currently have no car or other bits at all. I just want to find the cylinder head as it seems to be the most difficult to find.

Owned plenty of 940's in the past and want to re-live the dream with the best setup possible (IMHO)

I'm located in Stoke on Trent, UK, but I am willing travel for the right bits.

Cheers Dave

Last edited by averill; Jan 4th, 2014 at 14:39. Reason: clearing up that I am willing to pay for part
averill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 15:35   #2
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Possibly -

I have a whole engine in bits but there are several problems.

First, my daughter tried to run it with air cooling and it got very hot indeed and possibly the head is beyond getting straight again. I expect it would be possible to bore the block +60 and you'll probably want fly-cut B230 pistons as well, and I expect the crank to be OK or grindable for use with new ends and mains.

Second (probably no biggie) the cam cover on my spare engine was cracked by the idiot who took it out with a JCB. Probably can be ally welded or even fixed with JB-weld or similar.

Third the reason for the damage seems to be that the idiot failed to support the back of the engine so the dizzy hit the bulkhead hard. You will need new twin-cam dizzy.

Fourth, and this may be a BIG problem - the cam carrier was cracked as well. It piddles oil - which may be ploddable or ally-weldable - BUT I suspect you will have to have the rear cam bearing surface in the cam carrier machined to make the cam run true and the cam runs in the cam carrier WITH NO SEPARATE BEARING.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 16:14   #3
averill

Would it be possible for you to post any pictures of what you've mentioned? This engine sounds like a lot of work, but I may still have a use for it. Are you in any rush to get rid of it? How much are you looking for?
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 17:49   #4
mad matt

I've got a head and I've got a complete engine that only done 85k
mad matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 17:57   #5
averill

All in working order or near enough? Price?
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 18:20   #6
averill

Please note I can't send private messages yet, still too new!

Tags
940, b234f 16v head