Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Phone Modul (PHM) Bluetooth Update

Views : 7494

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 28th, 2016, 10:16   #1
marekbm

Default Phone Modul (PHM) Bluetooth Update

Hi everyone,
If you have a PHM module in the car but you don't use it (it needs an extra SIM card) then it's possible to rebuild it into Bluetooth Hands-Free module.

There is a GSM modem in the PHM. It's possible to remove it and put my Bluetooth module replacemet instead. The BT module is also possible to connect with radio and you can listen the music over Bluetooth (A2DP). The BT module supports the following radio modes: CD-CHANGER, MD-CHANGER, SAT.

Supported radio modes:
CD-CHANGER mode: It's universal for all HU radios but you cannot see text on the radio
MD-CHANGER mode: This mode is supported by HU-x0x radios (HU-40x, HU-60x and HU-80x). The advantage is that it support text on the radio. You can see my youtube video. It's it Czech but it doesn't matter.
SAT mode: This mode is supported by HU-x5x radios (HU-450, HU-650, HU-850). It can also support the text on the radio. You can see on this youtube video.
Audio control on steering wheel and radio works.

All videos regarding this Bluetooth module are here.
All my documentation is in Czech language now but if you have an interest then I'm can rewrite it into English.

Apple iOS and Android phones are supported. The phonebook is used from the cellphone. BT module is updating over the Bluetooth (not supported by iPhone).

Only some S80s are not supported by this Bluetooth modul (If there is not slot for SIM on the PHM).

If you have any question or it's interesting for you, please ask.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bt modul - small.jpg (70.6 KB, 80 views)

Last edited by marekbm; Dec 28th, 2016 at 11:13.
marekbm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marekbm For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 10:47   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Excellent work Marek.
Did you reverse engineer the phone module and then connect to the phone interface?
Or did you connect everything to the CAN bus?

I wish I was at your workbench - I'd have a lot of fun working on something like this

I have a P2 XC90, which uses a different head unit and all audio devices sit on a MOST ring and the main radio can be contactable via CAN bus

I've been really wanting to find a Bluetooth device which connects to the CAN bus, sends track info to the DIM display, has an analog audio out to connect to the existing AUX in port, and sends Bluetooth commands to the iPhone to control the tracks

Thus I'd have full iPhone audio control from the steering wheel which would be great for music playback

That would work in any P2 vehicle

Currently I've got myself an Arduino and am checking to see how far I can go with the Ardunio to do what I want
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 11:13   #3
marekbm

Hi,
Exactly, reverse engineering . It works as a GSM modem to Bluetooth bridge + audio streaming.
I'm not connected to the CAN, just modem serial line. It was quite crazy because there are 4 types of modems in total (but at the moment all works ).
Audio control on steering wheel and radio works (readout from radio melbus). I use just next and previous track. It's enough, you just create a playlist before driving or you can use spotify or others apps (tags also works). Music automaticly starts after connection with cellphone.

I plan to start differen project (not sure when) for the XC90 because it's quite different. It already has MOST (optical bus) for the audio so only Hands-Free mode will be available. It's possible to add analog output but without command support for previous and next track.
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 11:23   #4
harveys
Master Member

Clever stuff to say the least will keep a eye on it as it develops, got to ask the price ?.
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 11:45   #5
marekbm

For the S60, V/XC70 and S80 it's already done. I have also sold a few pieces locally.
The price is at about Ł120 or $138 + shipment. Depends on exchange rate.

Last edited by marekbm; Dec 28th, 2016 at 11:57.
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 12:25   #6
petey
Master Member

Forgive my (extensive) ignorance on this subject, but does that imply that it's possible to add a vaguely OE Bluetooth phone interface to my '05 V70?
It has nothing related to phones or BT or similar at the moment, and I could get a parrot solution but something more OE would be prettier....
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 13:23   #7
marekbm

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey View Post
Forgive my (extensive) ignorance on this subject, but does that imply that it's possible to add a vaguely OE Bluetooth phone interface to my '05 V70?
It has nothing related to phones or BT or similar at the moment, and I could get a parrot solution but something more OE would be prettier....
Hi,
Nothing will looks prettier than my solution because :
- it's fully integrated into car and nothing is external.
- all functions works like before (accept call by pressing green button on steering wheel or on PHM, denied call by pressing red, ...)
- use internal microphone in rearviwe mirror
- use reproductor in drivers seat
- if somebody call you, you can see it on the dashboard

Because it's just about replace one board (GSM modem) inside the PHM by Bluetooth module (on the picture on 1st thread).
Old Dec 28th, 2016, 23:19   #8
marekbm

Added pictures how the PHM look before and after replacement.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bt modul - original.jpg (53.2 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg bt modul - replacement.jpg (75.8 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg bt modul - final assembly.jpg (42.4 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by marekbm; Dec 28th, 2016 at 23:28.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marekbm For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 29th, 2016, 12:40   #9
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marekbm View Post
I plan to start differen project (not sure when) for the XC90 because it's quite different. It already has MOST (optical bus) for the audio so only Hands-Free mode will be available. It's possible to add analog output but without command support for previous and next track.
In my MY2009 XC90 with HighPerformance (non Dolby) sound with MOST bus and built in factory phone module PHM I have an existing AUX input for anz external device.

So what I really want is to map the current steering wheel controls when on AUX input to the iPhone

When the audio is on AUX the following occurs:
[<] no function
[>] no function
[+] volume up (of stereo)
[-] volume down (of stereo, not of iPhone)

What would be cool is
Bluetooth connection to iPhone
Bluetooth A2DP streaming audio outputs analog audio which the user hardwires or plugs in to the AUX input
DIM support of current playing track / artist
Support of [>] and [<] steering wheel controls to control next / previous track on iPhone

Then also:
If vehicle has a existing PHM, allow the following...
When vehicle PHM is OFF:
allow the keypad keys to be used for the iPhone
allow the the Green and Red phone keys on steering wheel for iPhone

Happy to support your project, I have a fully functioning VIDA unit and I am an electronics engineer used to working on cars, and I developped software in my spare time as well (I wrote software for BMWs...)
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2016, 22:45   #10
marekbm

For this you have to be connected on CAN and (maybe) also on MOST bus. This is quite a big challenge and I don't do it in this style. I want also just replace GSM modem by Bluetooth bridge on the XC90. Disadvantage that there is not possible to use next/prev buttons from the radio and steering wheel. I also think that these buttons are ignored if you select "AUX" input and you press some of them.
For example the button next/prev on the steering wheel on the HU-x50 is also ignored if the "SAT" is selected.

Tags
bluetooth hands-free