Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Leak in boot

Views : 1555

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 18:56   #1
Markie

V40 CD 2.0i

Noticed water in spare wheel well, but cannot find the source. Surrounding carpet appears dry. A posting on vvspy made one suggestion but it is not clear exactly what is meant.

Any ideas welcome
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 09:51   #2
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE: Leak in boot

It could just be a build up of condensation....take the wheel out and put some newspaper in there to dry it out.
Then afterwards see if it comes back, and note the conditions.... weather, temp etc..

Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2003, 20:56   #3
GorgeousGeorge
Bostin !!!

Default RE: Leak in boot

markie

one small point, when its been raining or you have just washed your car, lift the tailgate and open the light covers on the tailgate, i've seen water dripping inside there as if the light surround was leaking.

still havnt fixed it though !!!!!!!

i have noticed the car mists up quickly so i might hav a look one day, but its the missus' car so oneday may never come :o

cheers

scott
GorgeousGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 00:40   #4
S40WML

Default RE leak in boot

message from s40wml .I had the same problem an found out what it was if you undo the rear bumper there are seams on both sides that let water in i dug out the old sealer and resealed it .i only had a drip in mine but thats where it came from most u certain you will fix it doing that. CHEERS
S40WML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 07:57   #5
spaceace

friend of mine had a loose aerial which was letting rain in from the roof
spaceace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 10:06   #6
felipe Rose

Get the carpet out, and spare wheel etc, then jump in the boot with a good torch and get someone to close it. Then get them to blast the back of the car with a hose while you look around the seals, bumper mounts, lights, etc for signs of leaks.

Just make sure if it's the 'S' the person you have on the outside is someone you can trust and if it's your wife....make sure you haven't missed your anniversary/her birthday/etc or she might not let you out
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 11:57   #7
stevo48
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by felipe Rose View Post
Get the carpet out, and spare wheel etc, then jump in the boot with a good torch and get someone to close it. Then get them to blast the back of the car with a hose while you look around the seals, bumper mounts, lights, etc for signs of leaks.

Just make sure if it's the 'S' the person you have on the outside is someone you can trust and if it's your wife....make sure you haven't missed your anniversary/her birthday/etc or she might not let you out
Good suggestion, mine was leaking through the bumper mounting bolt holes as well.
stevo48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 12:15   #8
Naz
I haven't a clue - help!!

mine had been leaking through loose antenna.
Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 19:43   #9
Jo_Jo

I had the same a few weeks ago - the spare wheel well was swimming.
Carpets seemed fine, but I traced the leak to the bottom of the boot seal....there is another thread on this somewhere too.

I took the seal off, cleaned it and dried it thoroughly, ran a small bead of clear silicone around the inner part of the seal and carefully refitted it - since then absolutely no leak and no need to take any of the interior off.
Jo_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 00:39   #10
thebigv
Master Member

check the rear light seals and tailgate plastic. The foam inserts around them weaken and let water in. I took the light assembly and black plastic board off the boot and sealed all the surrounding areas of any hole. Been bone dry since and we've had some hell of a downpour
thebigv is offline   Reply With Quote