Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alfa 156 seats into a 240?

Views : 1264

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2015, 23:08   #1
Porkchop

Default Alfa 156 seats into a 240?

Hi yet again chaps, I'm very keen to resolve the seating issue in our 84' 240 Estate as my 17yo son is rapidly approaching the point where he will be taking over the reins licence-wise. Both front seats are superficially fine as far as the fabric goes but the seat internals are in a fairly dire state. I've looked into rebuilding the various springs/belts/supports but am beginning to wonder whether it might be a better option to throw in a pair of Alfa 156 seats (tan leather to match the tan vinyl trim in car).
I've had a reasonably good look around the net and the info is patchy and not overly big on details, I guess the issue is that I don't want to shell out on freighting a pair of seats to my address only to find that things aren't what I thought them to be. I know that there are a couple of posts regarding seats on the forum, particularly refurbishing original ones but just wanted anyone who is savvy with this conversion to weigh in on it for me. Electric versus manual seems to be one of the salient points and in particular the seat squab height after the swap. Any pointers gratefully accepted....
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 11:12   #2
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

I did this years ago in my old 240 so I cant remember how I did it but it only took a couple of hours to sort. I think the passenger side I cheated and mounted the Alfa runner to the Volvo runner as it bolted right on after I cut the rear mounting brackets off the Alfa runner (did the job!) and the drivers side was a little bit more fiddly but didn't require any welding. I think it was something as simple as swapping the rear Alfa mounting points over on the runners to fit the Volvo rear mounting points and then bolting them down.

Alfa 156 seats fit in really well, are dead comfy, have a built in arm rest and hold you in better.

Its a dead easy conversion and can be done with some simple thinking.

John_h has some different kind of Alfa seats in his 240 right now but I ddefinitely used Alfa 156 ones.

Swap a T5 motor into your RWD Volvo:The Guide
Antz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Antz For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 13th, 2015, 22:42   #3
Porkchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antz View Post
I did this years ago in my old 240 so I cant remember how I did it but it only took a couple of hours to sort. I think the passenger side I cheated and mounted the Alfa runner to the Volvo runner as it bolted right on after I cut the rear mounting brackets off the Alfa runner (did the job!) and the drivers side was a little bit more fiddly but didn't require any welding.

Its a dead easy conversion and can be done with some simple thinking...
My problem Antz, is that I live on an island (a fairly large island, 3x Netherlands!) and there are no local auto wreckers that stock exotica like Alfas to be had so I have to freight the seats in from the 'mainland'. I just want to make sure that if I go through with the deal I'll have a situation where I can drop the new seats in without too many dramas. I'm the kind of guy who likes following manuals and all that although I can think laterally when required! I'm completely unfamiliar with the marque (Alfa) and don't know whether there's a big variation between years/submodels etc etc in terms of seat fixings but I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet!
Old Jul 16th, 2015, 00:49   #4
Porkchop

No one else on the forum who wants to weigh in with their experiences? I'm all ears (or do you just want to skip it)?
Old Jul 16th, 2015, 09:38   #5
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Im sure John_h will be able to give some advice and I thought wooble had done the same conversion.

Message each of them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Antz For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 16th, 2015, 14:34   #6
Antz
No I'm not the redhead

Post 17 in this link

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=273136

Old Jul 17th, 2015, 00:24   #7
Porkchop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antz View Post
I've got that link bookmarked somewhere Antz but thanks again for putting it out there. I would love to see just a couple of images of the process, I'll message wooble and see if any were taken....after I've had my