Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 for sale to a good home

Views : 1709

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 25th, 2014, 19:45   #1
PaulFraBroxburn

Default 850 for sale to a good home

I've finally called time on my 850, but I'm hoping someone will give the old girl an extended life. I'm based in West Lothian, Scotland.
This 850 (Maroon coloured) 2.5 TDI estate is coming up to 18, with 283,000 miles on the clock. For me, with no time for DIY mechanics, it is becoming too expensive to justify keeping, but she has plenty of life left for someone who could add some TLC. She's a runner, but I wouldn't drive her long distance without some attention first. MOT is due in April 2014 and tax won't be included at time of sale.
This model includes the following features and I've noted whether or not I've experienced problems against each:
Allow wheels: Clean, maintain tyre pressures, Pirelli tyres all round with about 5k miles left in them I reckon.
Engine: Sound, no oil burning. There is a very minor leak on a seal, but not sufficient to fail MOT or cause top-ups of oil. Service is needed (now slightly overdue). Plenty of power, lively acceleration if demanded. Until recently I've been getting 45-50 MPG out of this car (on a run).
Gearbox: Good, responsive - no issues, but I've been told by dealer (where I get it serviced) that the gearbox is usually the first major expense that will arise. Currently no sign of this being the case.
Brakes: All good - no pulling but squealing a bit. Will probably need new discs and pads before MOT.
AirCon: Works, but leaks. I have been getting it re-charged around May/June each year and it has sustained the summer seasons well, but by Jan/Feb the lights are flashing again to indicate a recharge is needed.
Suspension: All good, well maintained - I spent £700 on getting it through MOT April 2013, with all new struts and links on the front.
Steering: Rack replaced about 3 years ago with a scrapyard supplied V70 rack. Has done well but I think it now slightly leaking fluid.
Exhaust: Astonishing - I've owned this car for 7+ years and not touched the exhaust system once. I suspect someone had a stainless system installed. No reason to suspect there will be work needed on the exhaust any time soon.
Lights: All working OK.
Drivers seat: All electric control, adjustment, heating etc working. Seat itself is worn but comfortable.
Other seats: Passenger heated seat works OK and seat in good condition. Rear seats in good condition
Carpets/Trim: All good condition for age. No evidence of smoking (I don't smoke). No sagging of headlining, no leaks or damp patches, Rubber mats in reasonable condition throughout. The car has been used regularly to transport a dog (guide dog), and whilst I'll do my best to get rid of all the dog hair, it'll be a challenge.
Doors/Locks: All doors are usable. Drivers door handle sometimes sticks; needs some TLC. No major rust or problems on doors.
Tailgate: Rusty. Corroded around windscreen wiper and behind number plate. Tailgate supports no longer reliably support the tailgate when open.
Rear bumper: Loose - evidence of corrosion behind the bumper but I haven't investigated.
Bodywork: Hasn't been resprayed - still original paintwork. Bonnet top has a mark on it, but it's never caused me an issue so I've never addressed it. RH front wing was corroded through a couple of years ago, and a local bodyshop did a brilliant job of patching (welded not filled) and respraying.
Other: Cruise Control still works well, the premium stereo system works and sounds good. The car has a towbar with dual electrics. Luggage area cover is included. 2 rear-facing child seats are fitted in the back.

The car is currently registered as a Disabled vehicle tax class and the moment I send off the V5 to de-register it, I'll need to hand in the tax disc and declare SORN. I'm not going to take any action until I know whether the vehicle is going for scrap or someone is interested in buying it.

I'd like to see this car go to someone that will take it on as a project, but realistically you'd have to be mechanically capable or it would cost you money to keep it on the road. I bought the car at 200,000 miles and had all the belts and major work done by Volvo dealer at that time (major service).
If no one responds by 1st March I will find an alternative path for disposal, so if you're thinking about it, don't think too long.
I'd be looking for offers around £300 + the cost of the road tax you'll need to drive it away. Reply with details if you want to discuss and take this further.

I'll be brutally honest with anyone that is interested in this car... It's a good car, otherwise I'd be putting her straight to the scrap yard. If more than one person is interested, it'll go to the highest bidder that will give her a good future (i.e. not banger racing).
PaulFraBroxburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 20:13   #2
PaulFraBroxburn

Default Pictures now available

http://paulhicks.net/wpress/gallery/volvo-850/
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 20:40   #3
Stewartb1

Hi paul how much is the tax going to be for it? would you take £200+tax
Stewartb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2nd, 2014, 21:02   #4
PaulFraBroxburn

Hi Stewart,
According to http://carfueldata.dft.gov.uk/new-ve...aspx?t=23ude39 it will cost £123.75 to tax for 6 months, or £225 to tax for 12 months.
Because the vehicle was first registered before 2001, it comes under a simpler road tax scheme than more modern cars.
I'm afraid I'm not flexible on the price at this point. You are getting a hell of a lot of car for £300 and I'm only pricing it at this for Volvo Owner Club enthusiasts who will put some money into the car and keep it on the road - it deserves it. If you are haggling over such a low price, I'd question your ability to do any work on the car.
You're welcome to come and see the car if you wish.
Regards,
Paul
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 18:13   #5
Robertpat20

Hi Paul, is this still for sale?
Robertpat20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 21:34   #6
Ade B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertpat20 View Post
Hi Paul, is this still for sale?
Sure isn't! I just bought it
Ade B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ade B For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 21:36   #7
PaulFraBroxburn

Default Now sold

Many thanks for your interest, this car has now been sold to a Volvo enthusiast who plans a long, exciting future for the car. It is likely to be documented as a project in a popular car magazine and thanks to this forum, should lead a long and prosperous life as a classic car.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulFraBroxburn For This Useful Post:

Tags
850, 850 estate for sale, project, restore, sale