Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Light load hesitation.

Views : 377

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 25th, 2024, 09:57   #1
IainG
Premier Member

Wink Light load hesitation.

2.0d on 160k.
I recently changed my Glow Plugs and found the EGR was sticking. I cleaned it up and refitted. I was also having an oil level increase on long journeys.
I then realised my DPF was due a change and the EOLYS a refill
New DPF fitted and EOLYS refilled. That has sorted the rising oil level( obviously through failed regens) The EGR still threw the occasional fault codes.
So I did an Oil and Filter change as well as fitting a new EGR.
Oil level now stays constant and there are no fault codes at all( apart from AQ sensor.)

I have for a while been getting a slight hesitation, small surging under light loads. Early on it tended to be whilst the engine is warming up but recently most of the time under very light loads. Ie on the motorway in the 50 limit. Around town in traffic. Under acceleration all feels good.
I am planning on doing some live readings to see if I can narrow down the issue.I am just after some advice on possible parameters to monitor to try and narrow down the failing sensor/ component. When I do the Injector cut out test all appears fine and all the same. I did think it could be related to the EGR but now a new one has been fitted I can hopefully rule that out.
And advice on parameters to monitor would be welcome. Volvo Fuel filter and air filter recently changed.
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 12:25   #2
Teddy1975

Did you wipe the EGR adaption values in Vida as per the instructions after fitting the new valve?
In Vida: DIAGNOSTICS/CAR COMMUNICATION/Advanced/ECM/Adapting EGR-valve

---
I'm still struggling with my 2.0D regenerating as soon as it can, which is every 115 km or so, resulting in rising oil level. I've about given up on it now.
Teddy1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 14:55   #3
IainG
Premier Member

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy1975 View Post
Did you wipe the EGR adaption values in Vida as per the instructions after fitting the new valve?
In Vida: DIAGNOSTICS/CAR COMMUNICATION/Advanced/ECM/Adapting EGR-valve

---
I'm still struggling with my 2.0D regenerating as soon as it can, which is every 115 km or so, resulting in rising oil level. I've about given up on it now.

Yes, 99% sure, can't quite remember the terminology but something to do with EGR adaptions, Will look later and double check.

My Eolys tank was empty(now full) and I think the DPF was due for replacement(now replaced). Since then no rising oil levels.
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 15:17   #4
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

you could run the egr adaptation again did you also reset the counter for the eloys adm... egr duty cycle can be viewed with vida on a graph so you can compare with the suggested parameters that vida shows. also have you reset the oil quality sensor there is a revised oil capacity of 4.8 ltr which allows a little oil dilution before messages flag up. its an unfortunate fact that diesels with dpfs are not suitable for certain types of driving/
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 16:23   #5
IainG
Premier Member

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
you could run the egr adaptation again did you also reset the counter for the eloys adm... egr duty cycle can be viewed with vida on a graph so you can compare with the suggested parameters that vida shows. also have you reset the oil quality sensor there is a revised oil capacity of 4.8 ltr which allows a little oil dilution before messages flag up. its an unfortunate fact that diesels with dpfs are not suitable for certain types of driving/
Eolys counter reset and I think replacement of DPF.

I reset service reminder but didn't see oil quality sensor?? Could that be the later V50's??
I reset the service reminder.
I only put in about 4.6 or 4.7 lts. About 1/4" down from max.
Will have a look for oil quality sensor and have a look at the EGR duty cycle
Thanks.
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 16:54   #6
Teddy1975

I'll try refilling my Eolys tank again, I bought a 3 litre bottle of the stuff on Ebay when I bought the car and the last two times I've tried to fill it, it was nearly full. Last time was about 18 months ago, I've driven about 50K km since then.
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 17:21   #7
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy1975 View Post
I'll try refilling my Eolys tank again, I bought a 3 litre bottle of the stuff on Ebay when I bought the car and the last two times I've tried to fill it, it was nearly full. Last time was about 18 months ago, I've driven about 50K km since then.
I did actually take my tank off to fill it !! I think I must have reset the counter at some point and it was always reading full. I just wanted to check it was empty before I filled it. It took the full bottle (1lt) i think. I then refitted the tank and reset the counter, will wait and see if the level drops (in VIDA) over the next few months. There is a prime function in VIDA for the pump as well
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 17:47   #8
Teddy1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainG View Post
I think I must have reset the counter at some point and it was always reading full.
The two times I've tried to fill the tank with more Eolys, it immediately started running out the other clear tube I fitted to it, indicating it was already full.

The second time, I had the indie mechanic I use to do it just to make certain I wasn't doing it wrong and he hooked things up the way I had with the same result. So, it's possible something related to the additive system just isn't working. I know the Eolys pump is working since I can hear it running when I prime it from Vida, but maybe it isn't activated when I fill up the fuel tank with diesel.

Simmy, do you know how it registers that diesel has been added? Is it like the 1.6D where it uses a magnet in the filler cap?

Sorry for posting questions about my car in your thread, Iain.
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 22:28   #9
Simmy
Premier Member

im not sure its not anything iv needed to know possibly a message sent from the level float.. clan may be able to answer this question
Old Jun 25th, 2024, 22:36   #10
Simmy
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IainG View Post
Hi

Eolys counter reset and I think replacement of DPF.

I reset service reminder but didn't see oil quality sensor?? Could that be the later V50's??
I reset the service reminder.
I only put in about 4.6 or 4.7 lts. About 1/4" down from max.
Will have a look for oil quality sensor and have a look at the EGR duty cycle
Thanks.
oil quality sensor defiantly there on our 2.0d i found it when vida said oil quality contaminated flagged by engine service required message