Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Turbo Actuator experiences?

Views : 2347

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2016, 13:44   #1
Mistero
XC90? How very Harrogate!

Default Turbo Actuator experiences?

Hi,I think my turbo actuator is playing up, but would appreciate some advice.

A couple of months ago the 'Engine System Service Required' message appeared under acceleration and whilst warm running. At the same time the car went in for its MOT with P&R in Leeds and they reported that the pneumatic engine mounts are shot, (rear one more than front) and that the gearbox link mount is also worn. (I mention this in case the items are linked)

So I've been working my way through the vacuum system (many thanks for your excellent videos on YouTube SiRobb / CheshireD5) and other information and keeping a note of when it happens and I’ve concluded my turbo actuator is probably playing up.

Essentially:
- the engine revs normally from cold but won't rev smoothly past 2500rpm when warm
- after about 40 mins of warm running and then accelerating fairly hard the ‘Engine System Service Required’ message appears. The message disappears without me doing anything after a couple of low rev short urban journeys.
- when warmed up (independent of message display) the turbo releases gas at every gear change (mine’s a manual so the gas release may be more exaggerated than with an auto because the revs fall further).
- I think the engine mount vacuum is not a problem because my vacuum control switch valve switches vacuum correctly away from the mounts at 1000rpm - (one thing to note here is that I'm only getting about 500mmHg / 20 inHg vacuum which is less than shown in the video - is that a concern?)
- having said the vacuum switch is performing correctly, I've tried the popping noise test and the popping noise doesn't cease when I close the vacuum - although mine's a euro4, not a euro3 as shown in the video – the popping noise is reduced but not eliminated – so does this indicate a loss of vacuum via another bit of the vacuum pipework?
- the car is run on BP standard diesel, so I'm hoping the turbo vanes are not clogged.
- the car does mostly short journeys, I’m a conservative driver and mileage is around 92K miles currently
- I’ve read that the turbo actuators are susceptible to heat damage and internal gear wear.

The car hasn’t been back to P&R since it’s MOT – we discussed the message when I collected it but it was on a day when the message was not displayed. We agreed we’d work through a series of checks before they have the car back; I'll have to drive the car a little harder and that I should also try Forte Turbo Cleaner to see if it frees any stuck blades in the turbo, all of which I’ve done.

That little bottle is marvellous stuff – certainly makes the engine more responsive and revs passed 2500 – but now that tank is finished the car is going back to how it was before. I think it’s only masking the problem. Plus ‘fast’ is not my style!!!

So that’s all my notes, I think my turbo actuator is playing up or that I have a ‘non-engine mount orientated’ vacuum leak that I’ve yet to find. Am I correct? What other checks can I make? I read so many posts on here with vague info and dealers replace this, that and the other, so I’m eager to take it back to P&R (or fix it myself), with as many checks / tests nailed.

Any comments would be very welcome.
Thanks everyone
David
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 14:14   #2
osullivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistero View Post
Hi,I think my turbo actuator is playing up, but would appreciate some advice.

A couple of months ago the 'Engine System Service Required' message appeared under acceleration and whilst warm running. At the same time the car went in for its MOT with P&R in Leeds and they reported that the pneumatic engine mounts are shot, (rear one more than front) and that the gearbox link mount is also worn. (I mention this in case the items are linked)

So I've been working my way through the vacuum system (many thanks for your excellent videos on YouTube SiRobb / CheshireD5) and other information and keeping a note of when it happens and I’ve concluded my turbo actuator is probably playing up.

Essentially:
- the engine revs normally from cold but won't rev smoothly past 2500rpm when warm
- after about 40 mins of warm running and then accelerating fairly hard the ‘Engine System Service Required’ message appears. The message disappears without me doing anything after a couple of low rev short urban journeys.
- when warmed up (independent of message display) the turbo releases gas at every gear change (mine’s a manual so the gas release may be more exaggerated than with an auto because the revs fall further).
- I think the engine mount vacuum is not a problem because my vacuum control switch valve switches vacuum correctly away from the mounts at 1000rpm - (one thing to note here is that I'm only getting about 500mmHg / 20 inHg vacuum which is less than shown in the video - is that a concern?)
- having said the vacuum switch is performing correctly, I've tried the popping noise test and the popping noise doesn't cease when I close the vacuum - although mine's a euro4, not a euro3 as shown in the video – the popping noise is reduced but not eliminated – so does this indicate a loss of vacuum via another bit of the vacuum pipework?
- the car is run on BP standard diesel, so I'm hoping the turbo vanes are not clogged.
- the car does mostly short journeys, I’m a conservative driver and mileage is around 92K miles currently
- I’ve read that the turbo actuators are susceptible to heat damage and internal gear wear.

The car hasn’t been back to P&R since it’s MOT – we discussed the message when I collected it but it was on a day when the message was not displayed. We agreed we’d work through a series of checks before they have the car back; I'll have to drive the car a little harder and that I should also try Forte Turbo Cleaner to see if it frees any stuck blades in the turbo, all of which I’ve done.

That little bottle is marvellous stuff – certainly makes the engine more responsive and revs passed 2500 – but now that tank is finished the car is going back to how it was before. I think it’s only masking the problem. Plus ‘fast’ is not my style!!!

So that’s all my notes, I think my turbo actuator is playing up or that I have a ‘non-engine mount orientated’ vacuum leak that I’ve yet to find. Am I correct? What other checks can I make? I read so many posts on here with vague info and dealers replace this, that and the other, so I’m eager to take it back to P&R (or fix it myself), with as many checks / tests nailed.

Any comments would be very welcome.
Thanks everyone
David
If your car is 2007 185 d5, Your actuator is electric.... so not a vacum issue...

I am currently fighting with mine, I had it off and repaired and recalibrated and still not fixed.... removal is a PITA. I am just trying to convince myself to go at it again..... but I might try changing the actuator alone....
osullivant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to osullivant For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 15:23   #3
Mistero

Thanks for the prompt reply.
So when you say you've had it off the car and recalibrated, that's the whole turbo assembly, correct? And as part of that did you have the actuator rebuilt?
Old Oct 12th, 2016, 21:55   #4
osullivant

I took it to have the turbo "calibrated" I though this meant properly aligned so that the vanes started in the correct place, ( when I change the core I thought I had put it together incorrectly) When I collected the turbo I was told that the actuator was bad and the replaced some plastic parts. The car is usable but heavy on juice and noisey and cannot be reved above 4000 with out going into limp....

Yes I took the entire turbo and actuator off, my suspicion is that they guys upset the actuator and then calibrated the turbo to a bad actuator setting.

I am stumpted with what to do next.

In your case I would try to get a Known good actuator and try that. VIDA has a setting to test the actuator and that may clarify your problem, especially if it does not move or if it moves only a short amount...

Mine moves but I do not have access to a comparison to see if it starts or finishes in even the approximately correct place....

best of luck.
Old Oct 13th, 2016, 13:51   #5
Mistero

Thanks again. Interesting yours won't rev beyond 4000, yet mine is 2500ish. I wonder if that's related to driving style and the actuator wearing to reflect that.

Having posted this, I did a fairly long 'spirited' drive last night and it didn't play up, so maybe another dose of Forte (it states two bottles should be used as if a warning light / message has come on) and a watching brief on a rebuilt actuator will suffice.

But am I better going for something like Terraclean? Any experiences?

Anyway, I'm going to have a root around from underneath next to see if anything's amiss and to see what further checks might be possible.

Thanks again.
David
Old Oct 13th, 2016, 15:50   #6
osullivant

I have just paid 260euros for a second hand turbo to be delivered on Monday, so I am just going to swop actuator and if that fails to do the job I will do the whole turbo change.....

Tags
actuator, turbo