Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 cutting out?

Views : 136

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 30th, 2024, 16:11   #1
svol

Default 940 cutting out?

My 940 has started losing power then cutting out . It has happened twice after only about 5 minutes of driving. It won't immediately restart but will then start after a few minutes and drives again normally. The engine seems fine not overheating or any other issues. Wonder if anyone has experienced something similar?
svol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2024, 19:36   #2
Forrest
VOC Member

This is a common problem and there are several electrical components that might be causing it. There is quite a lot about possible causes in the FAQ:

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Eng...eSymptoms.html

On a late model 940 the most common causes seem to be the fuel injection relay, crank position (RPM) sensor or radio suppression relay. RPM sensor is the one I’ve had personal experience of. The clue here is that the revs kind of stick at a low ceiling then drop to zero on the counter just before the stall. The sensor is on top of the bell housing and quite hard to see through the heater pipes and distributor cables. The cable to it wears out over time.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2024, 21:25   #3
svol

Default Hopefully sorted

Changed the fuel pump relay and the problem seems to be solved . It was still on the original, it was dated late 1997. Can't complain about it failing when the cars done over 200k . I did open the old one and to me it didn't look bad .....is there any way you can tell just by looking that it's knackered?
svol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2nd, 2024, 00:51   #4
TonyS9
Premier Member

Some people say they have seen cracked solder joints but I have an electronics manufacturing background and couldn't see any visual problems in mine. I suspected an internal crack or broken wire. It's a little under rated and gets quite hot in use.

If you get any other no start issues, check if there is a priming whine from the pump (once only, until reset after 10s of ignition off), and the rpm needle moves slightly while cranking after tdc.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote