Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Spicer axle type 27 - shims rh or lh side

Views : 3076

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2013, 19:04   #1
BarryS

Default Spicer axle type 27 - shims rh or lh side

I need some informed advice please.

Having tackled drive shaft seal renewal on our ’64 122S with Spicer Type 27 axle, I was surprised to discover shims and gaskets between the brake backing plates and the axle on both sides of the car when taking everything apart.

My understanding is that there should be no gaskets between the brake backing plates and the axle, only between the backing plate and the felt seal retainers on the brake side of the backing plate.

My Volvo Green Book, Part 4 (46) Rear Axle (Spicer) reference indicates no shims to be fitted to the RH side, only the bearing retainer plate/spacer, and the book goes on to state that drive shaft axial play is adjusted using shims on the LH side. I have followed these instructions. The spec/intro pages of this Green Book covers Spicer 23, 27 and 30 axles.

I have, however, now discovered another Green Book, Part 4 (46) Rear Axle (Spicer Mod. 27), and the instructions within are different and contrary to the above. It definitely states shims and drive shaft axial adjustment only on the RH side.

I am now unsure as to whether my reassembly is right and so am hoping that someone will confirm which is correct for the 27 Spicer – shims/adjustment LH or RH side?

Thanks, Barry
BarryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2013, 19:54   #2
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryS View Post
I need some informed advice please.

Having tackled drive shaft seal renewal on our ’64 122S with Spicer Type 27 axle, I was surprised to discover shims and gaskets between the brake backing plates and the axle on both sides of the car when taking everything apart.

My understanding is that there should be no gaskets between the brake backing plates and the axle, only between the backing plate and the felt seal retainers on the brake side of the backing plate.

My Volvo Green Book, Part 4 (46) Rear Axle (Spicer) reference indicates no shims to be fitted to the RH side, only the bearing retainer plate/spacer, and the book goes on to state that drive shaft axial play is adjusted using shims on the LH side. I have followed these instructions. The spec/intro pages of this Green Book covers Spicer 23, 27 and 30 axles.

I have, however, now discovered another Green Book, Part 4 (46) Rear Axle (Spicer Mod. 27), and the instructions within are different and contrary to the above. It definitely states shims and drive shaft axial adjustment only on the RH side.

I am now unsure as to whether my reassembly is right and so am hoping that someone will confirm which is correct for the 27 Spicer – shims/adjustment LH or RH side?

Thanks, Barry
i tend to put things back as they were bit like the camber shims on the front crossmembers they are all different and must be set up correctly which would have been done in the factory to as close as they could get so using this rule of thumb ( unless others have altered it before you so you know its wrong ) then i would keep it as it was

how did/ does it drive does it warrent the need for this ?

i know over the years play may be present but i would go down this route as a last choice but im sure others may have some experiences they wish to share i will follow this thread to see if i can learn something new ..

kind regards

robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2013, 21:12   #3
BarryS

Robert

Thanks for your comment. I am absolutely positive that this axle has been "reconditioned" by a previous owner of the car due to parts evidenced by service history. It definitely is not as it left the factory and so I would like to get it right.

Barry
The Following User Says Thank You to BarryS For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2013, 21:35   #4
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

argh ok that makes sense then and i can see why you would want to check it all is correct
your on the right path by checking the manuals but it sounds funny they would say one thing and then another ? very odd
i will see what i can find out and report back on that , but if anyone can shed some light on this would be great a learning curve thats for sure

regards
robert

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2013, 11:33   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

In the 1962 Green Book it states that with the "late production cars", the RH side shims have been replaced by a single 1.5mm thick shim. If you have no shims at all that side, fit one of those or the half shaft will go too far into the diff. It may not cause damage but will mean that the LH side adjustment will be compromised. If adjusted properly, the LH side will have a shim selection which adds up to something around the 1.5mm figure, could be more, could be less. Shaft must have some in/out movement. Minimum is 0.02mm which you might not be able to feel/see without a dial gauge but the maximum of 0.12mm should just be noticeable by feel. Unfortunately you have to select the shims and then torque down the back plate each time before you check/recheck the figure. Patience is needed. If you put the nut on tightish you can get a better grip on it when pulling it in and out. A very light tap with a plastic mallet will get it to the full in position before you give it a tug.
LH side shims are available in 1mm, 0.35mm and 0.1mm so the thick RH one should be obvious but a 1.5 could have been used on the LH side as part of the shim pack if the total needed was over 1.5mm. I have a set which I believe came from the same axle which comprises 1 x 1mm, 2 x .35mm, 2 x .1mm, which totals 1.9mm.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 09:17   #6
BarryS

Thanks Derek

I definitely had a spacer (thick shim) on the RH side and with this fitted there is no perceptible axial play at the RH drive shaft.

With shims fitted to the LH side, I can discern some axial play but gut feel tells me this is more than the green book specified 0.007-0.2mm. I'll re-adjust the shimming to reduce the play.

Interestingly, the photograph of the shims and backplate being offered up to the axle in both of the green books I refer to above, fig17 in the former and fig 32 in the latter, are the exact same image and from the brake shoe and handbrake cable configuration they are obviously the LH side which makes me think that the text "... adjustment should only be carried out on the right-hand side ..." in the book specifically stating (Spicer Mod. 27) in the front cover title is wrong!?

Regards, Barry
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 11:39   #7
Derek UK
VOC Member

As you say, these illustrations are re used in various green books over time. They are in a 1967 issue I have too. That one also shows the 140 axle with the disc brakes on the axle. There is a small Volvo number under each picture for identification. Typos are around too but these books are written for the Volvo garage mechanic not us amateurs!
The 1.5mm shim gets the RH shaft in a ball park position and as noted the clearance play is adjusted on the other side. In the centre of the diff the ends of the shafts butt up against a thrust block. This is floating so whatever clearance you set with the shims will be shared by both sides. It wouldn't be too difficult to set it up with no clearance at all or even with a tiny minus figure but that would mean the shafts would rub continuously from both sides. Not good for wear of the block but it would generate heat and cook the oil until something galled or seized. Better a fraction too slack than too tight.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 17:30   #8
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
The 1.5mm shim gets the RH shaft in a ball park position and as noted the clearance play is adjusted on the other side. In the centre of the diff the ends of the shafts butt up against a thrust block. This is floating so whatever clearance you set with the shims will be shared by both sides. It wouldn't be too difficult to set it up with no clearance at all or even with a tiny minus figure but that would mean the shafts would rub continuously from both sides. Not good for wear of the block but it would generate heat and cook the oil until something galled or seized. Better a fraction too slack than too tight.
Ah - always wondered why it was only set on one side... So does that mean that it's nothing at all to do with the setup of the rear wheel bearings?

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2013, 21:41   #9
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

No, it does set the bearing clearance, although Volvo, in their wisdom, don't mention that in the section on shims. In the Description at the front of the section it says...........

"Each axle shaft is journaled at its outer end in a taper roller bearing. Bearing clearance is adjusted by means of shims under the brake backing plate".

As Spike Milligan said in the Goons "It's all rather confusing, really".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 17th, 2016, 09:18   #10
ciderman

Default Add or subtract shim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
No, it does set the bearing clearance, although Volvo, in their wisdom, don't mention that in the section on shims. In the Description at the front of the section it says...........

"Each axle shaft is journaled at its outer end in a taper roller bearing. Bearing clearance is adjusted by means of shims under the brake backing plate".

As Spike Milligan said in the Goons "It's all rather confusing, really".
Yes, but if I want to reduce play of 1mm do I add or subtract a shim on the left side?
ciderman is offline   Reply With Quote