Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Turbo not working post EGR Valve cleaning!

Views : 5730

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 5th, 2013, 06:52   #11
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
I checked my vacuum hoses by disconnecting the small vacuum hose at the "t" where it splits on the pipe work on the battery side of the engine. I sucked on the hose and found I couldn't hold a vacuum. I then went around and found the hose off down the front of the engine. In my case I was able to hold a vacuum when everything was connnected and no leaks.There is a hose that goes to the turbo as well that could heve been disturbed. You should be able to suck on the hose and get a vacuum and that should test the whole of the vacuum system before the solenoids, apart from the servo from this pipe. Probably not very hygienic but it worked! With engine switched off.
Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2013, 18:22   #12
Adren4line

I tried your suggestion IainG, had a suspected small leak so replaced that piece of hose. Couldnt find any leaks after that. Unfortunately the car is still lacking power and i can't hear or feel any sign of the turbo.
Im stuck......I really need this fixing asap as i have a long drive to Munich on Tuesday so am quickly running out of time.
Ive also tried unplugging the MAF sensor and it seems to make the car run worse so dont think that is the problem.
Is there anyone living not too far from Swindon that could read the codes or even fix it for me quickly?
Adren4line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2013, 19:19   #13
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
1 last thought. there is a vacuum pipe that goes to the turbo from the top solenoid, i did not get around to finding it on mine as i found the pipe off on the front of the engine. i think the pipe runs along between the engine and bulkhead and controls the turbo boost. Worth a quick check with a torch.I think it runs from the solenoid on the right hand side of the engine around the back to the turbo.
Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2013, 19:43   #14
Adren4line

i pulled the hoses off the top solenoid and gave them a suck/blow and couldnt find leaks either! I tried to follow the hose leading down the back of the engine but couldnt find what it attached too. it didnt feel loose!
Could i have a faulty Turbo control valve/solenoid? Is there a way to test them?
Old May 6th, 2013, 19:20   #15
benr7310
Master Member

what size piping do the volvos actually use?
2.0d

3mm or 4mm?

Ex-S40 Sport 2.0d with 180bhp & 300lbft
benr7310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 20:08   #16
Adren4line

i used 5mm vacuum pipe from halfords and its a nice tight fit.

Anyway heres where im at now....
Had the codes read today, lots of faults but the top of the list was DPF BLOCKED, then the dpf pressure sensor, egr valve and TCV were all showing as having a fault of some sort. My mechanic seems to think that the DPF would be causing all of the other faults so should sort that 1st. Just tried taking the DPF off so i could try cleaning it but not a single nut would break free for me despite trying various tricks to loosen them. So think i will have to bite the bullet and get a replacement DPF tomorrow and arrange a garage to fit it for me (atleast they can remove shafted nuts/bolts).
Old May 6th, 2013, 20:36   #17
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Have you thought about having a DPF delete?

Have you got the codes available to post up?

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 07:44   #18
Adren4line

i have thought about the delete but as its almost twice the price of a new dpf and time is of the essence then im just going to get a new one fitted! Supposed to be driving to germany tomorrow!
I have the print out of codes in the garage, will post them up later!
Old May 7th, 2013, 16:48   #19
138gat
138gat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adren4line View Post
i pulled the hoses off the top solenoid and gave them a suck/blow and couldnt find leaks either! I tried to follow the hose leading down the back of the engine but couldnt find what it attached too. it didnt feel loose!
Could i have a faulty Turbo control valve/solenoid? Is there a way to test them?
You can check your Turbo Control Valve by using 2 wires connected to a battery and listen for it clicking
I fitted a new one of these and found it to be crap so ended up using the TCV from the bottom of the engine and all boost returned
Also, may sound silly but have you checked your fuses, number 35 to be exact as this controls the tcv, maf and several other components(see my earlier posts regarding lack of boost)
Hope you get sorted
138gat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
egr, turbo