Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hissing noise on power down and increased fuel consuption

Views : 856

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2021, 21:11   #1
AlexKnopp

Default Hissing noise on power down and increased fuel consuption

Firstly can I just say thanks to all the posters that have answered common and uncommon questions in these forums over the years. I've regularly found myself finding the solution I've needed from this forum and that wouldn't have been possible without all of you.

I have an XC90 D5 2011 132,000. Its been a brilliant car since the day we bought it about 7 years back. I've done most of the basic servicing myself and the alternator about a year back. Excuse me if this next bit goes on a little, but I want to give you the full context of whats going on.

Part 1 of this problem.
Recently the car has started to use a little more fuel than usual and for the last year or so its had a tiny hiss from underneath the car when under load which then gets louder when the turbo dumps. Lately that hiss has got louder and from everything I can find in the Haynes and on here it would point to the seals on the resonator box. No problems with power, she still goes like a train. A little age related loss Im sure.

I bought myself a cheap £30 OBD reader off amazon and plugged that in, no codes found. Ran the on board diagnostics and no codes found. Took it to the garage and they plugged it into something that cost about 2 grand, no codes found.

So, this morning I dropped the cover from underneath and went all the way along from the inter cooler down to the resonator tightening every clip I came across. I found that the lower clip on the resonator when tightened was simply over threading and breaking the tension so I replaced that clip and tightened that up. The lower resonator joint and the plastic pipe going into it was also very VERY oily. Im guessing there was a leak there somewhere, Ive cleaned it all up so well soon see where thats coming from.

Went for a drive and low and behold, the noise was still there, if not a little louder.

Part 2 of this problem

I thought it also wise to check some of the smaller pipes involved and decided to check that the turbo actuator was working. That seems to be working. However, when I took the vacuum tester out and plugged it into the hose that goes to the back of the engine, from that first T piece out of the actuator there was no vacuum at all. The pip that goes to the front was fine, but the one to the back wasn't. I dont know if its meant to or not but, Im guessing if it is then perhaps this could be why there is a hiss coming from that direction and possibly something to do with the turbo?

I hope this description triggers all the mega minds amongst you. Any questions or clarification feel free.
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 08:26   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

I would expect you have a boost leak, and the hiss you are hearing is charged air (boost) escaping. This leads to an incorrect air-fuel ratio, resulting in more fuel being burned and more soot being generated.

This fault will not show up on any code reader, as the car will not log a fault code until the DPF becomes full. and you want to avoid the DPF getting full, because it becomes a death spiral of the car trying to regenerate, and not being properly able to, and the DPF getting even more full, until it becomes blocked.

You should carefully inspect the charge air pipe from the turbo charger all the way to the intercooler for any splits, cracks or holes.
Check also the intercooler, and the rest of the intake system.

A smoke tester simplifies this test enormously, and makes it very easy to find the leak.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 16:23   #3
AlexKnopp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissXC90 View Post
I would expect you have a boost leak, and the hiss you are hearing is charged air (boost) escaping. This leads to an incorrect air-fuel ratio, resulting in more fuel being burned and more soot being generated.

This fault will not show up on any code reader, as the car will not log a fault code until the DPF becomes full. and you want to avoid the DPF getting full, because it becomes a death spiral of the car trying to regenerate, and not being properly able to, and the DPF getting even more full, until it becomes blocked.

You should carefully inspect the charge air pipe from the turbo charger all the way to the intercooler for any splits, cracks or holes.
Check also the intercooler, and the rest of the intake system.

A smoke tester simplifies this test enormously, and makes it very easy to find the leak.
Hi
Thanks for your reply.
Good thought, so I'll get it in for a smoke test next week.
I've made some additional findings today.
I do have a vacuum tester which I used to narrow down what I think it might be. When I attached the tester to the pipe that I mentioned above in problem 2, the pipe which goes to the rear engine mount, I found there was no vacuum at all. I am wondering if the hissing noise is coming from the mount, seeing as I thought it was coming from the resonator and with both of them being in the same place this could make sense.
Old Nov 14th, 2021, 17:01   #4
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Clamp of the vacuum lines to the engine mount. See what happens. if the engine mount cannot hold a vacuum, then you need a new mount
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2021, 11:00   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

I would also say most likely a boost leak - as it's been doing it a while check for oily deposits on the inlet tract from the turbocharger, under then engine, into the intercooler and the intercooler itself, and out of the top into the EGR mixer and inlet manifold. That would be a quick check but a smoke test is the best way if you have access to one.

Intercoolers leaking is very common, and often easy to spot as the bottom and core of the intercooler gets oily.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
turbo, vacuum actuator, xc90 2012