Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alarm goes off every time the car is locked

Views : 654

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 17th, 2022, 17:03   #1
V50 Craig

Default Alarm goes off every time the car is locked

Hi. New fault has just started. Car has never done this before. Was sat in the garden and the cars been parked for a good 2 hours on the drive. Alarm randomly went off. So I went to check, opened car, closed car and now every time I lock the doors the alarm goes off. Thought it might be because the windows were open a bit but is still doing it. Any ideas what this could be as I currently can't lock my car without the alarm going off constantly!

Could the heatwave we're having have done something with it being sat in the sun?
V50 Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2022, 17:27   #2
SnineT
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V50 Craig View Post
Hi. New fault has just started. Car has never done this before. Was sat in the garden and the cars been parked for a good 2 hours on the drive. Alarm randomly went off. So I went to check, opened car, closed car and now every time I lock the doors the alarm goes off. Thought it might be because the windows were open a bit but is still doing it. Any ideas what this could be as I currently can't lock my car without the alarm going off constantly!

Could the heatwave we're having have done something with it being sat in the sun?

Yes, strange as it seems it can, if the car is parked on unlevel ground the heat and even in normal weather the car shell can flex *I lost a windscreen that way in the past* this could cause a small gap between the seals and air is getting in thinking it's movement,

I would in your case start playing with the reduced guard icon if you have one or the button that turns the alarm off if you leave priso.. passengers locked in the car, check boot and bonnet as well.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2022, 17:44   #3
V50 Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
Yes, strange as it seems it can, if the car is parked on unlevel ground the heat and even in normal weather the car shell can flex *I lost a windscreen that way in the past* this could cause a small gap between the seals and air is getting in thinking it's movement,

I would in your case start playing with the reduced guard icon if you have one or the button that turns the alarm off if you leave priso.. passengers locked in the car, check boot and bonnet as well.
How do you turn reduced guard on? I've got it parked in the shade now to see if it cools the car down a bit and that helps but its going off randomly now even with the car sat unlocked
Old Jul 17th, 2022, 17:45   #4
V50 Craig

Quote:
How do you turn reduced guard on? I've got it parked in the shade now to see if it cools the car down a bit and that helps but its going off randomly now even with the car sat unlocked
It's an 08 v50 facelift*
Old Jul 17th, 2022, 18:06   #5
V50 Craig

I've put reduced guard on but no help. It's even going off with the doors unlocked and the alarm off. Goes off ebery couple of minutes. Anything I can do temporarily? I have young kids in the houses either side and quite honestly cant be having the alarm going off every few minutes all night. Will disconnecting the battery work?
Old Jul 17th, 2022, 18:28   #6
V50 Craig

Also doesn't come up on the dash saying the alarms gone off. I can't seem to find info whether there's a fuse I can remove
Old Jul 17th, 2022, 20:19   #7
V50 Craig

Well it's not ideal but I think i've stopped the alarm going off at least. I've turned autolocks off as it seemed after 60 secs the car locks were locking again automatically if nothing happened after unlocking which kept setting the alarm off. It's sat there unlocked unfortunately but at least the alarm isn't going off constantly.

I'm thinking it's that siren module is at fault so will have to look at it around work. Maybe get the arch liner off and unplug it so at least I can then lock the doors just with no alarm until I can replace it
Old Jul 17th, 2022, 20:25   #8
SnineT
Premier Member

Quote:
Well it's not ideal but I think i've stopped the alarm going off at least. I've turned autolocks off as it seemed after 60 secs the car locks were locking again automatically if nothing happened after unlocking which kept setting the alarm off. It's sat there unlocked unfortunately but at least the alarm isn't going off constantly.

I'm thinking it's that siren module is at fault so will have to look at it around work. Maybe get the arch liner off and unplug it so at least I can then lock the doors just with no alarm until I can replace it
If you've disabled the inside monitoring then yeah it's got to be some sort of module gone bad or the actual alarm,

I'd like to say the battery off will stop it but I'm not sure as some systems have a back up that takes a while to exhaust,

You need an auto electrician now as you've done the simple stuff,

One last long shot thought, does the car have switches in the door frames for indicating the doors open, if you lock it up and the courtesy light in the roof console remains lit it will indicate the car thinks a doors open still, these switches take a right hammering and do fail, something else to rule out anyway.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17th, 2022, 22:28   #9
V50 Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
If you've disabled the inside monitoring then yeah it's got to be some sort of module gone bad or the actual alarm,

I'd like to say the battery off will stop it but I'm not sure as some systems have a back up that takes a while to exhaust,

You need an auto electrician now as you've done the simple stuff,

One last long shot thought, does the car have switches in the door frames for indicating the doors open, if you lock it up and the courtesy light in the roof console remains lit it will indicate the car thinks a doors open still, these switches take a right hammering and do fail, something else to rule out anyway.
Thanks for the reply. Did check this but the interior lights go off and nothing on dash to say the doors open. It's a nightmare because I used the car earlier in the day to go to the beach and it locked fine. Just bad timing I guess. And again I suppose it is a 14 year old car now with nearly 171k miles so things like this are to be expected from time to time. Oh I wish for an older simpler vehicle!

Plus as an extra inconvenience to any would be theives I hopped in the back, leant into the front and fed the front seat belts through the door handles and plugged them in, just to help ease my paranoid mind ever so slightly and to make it a little harder to get into the car and open the doors whilst unlocked!

Last edited by V50 Craig; Jul 17th, 2022 at 22:32.
Old Jul 18th, 2022, 13:58   #10
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:

yes if the windows are open the alarm will go off, unless you disable the internal sensor (the bit in the roof between the front + back seats) , read the owners manual for "reduced guard" to find the button and how to use it,, or use "global opening" on the remote to open the windows, this auto disables the sensor in question and locks/deadlocks the doors with the windows open (no i dont know what use that is with the windows open ,,thats a ask volvo question)

as the car has been parked windows open, check for spiders inside the car, esp the sensor housing they LOVE setting the thing off,, little sods
also check the sensor housing is Clean and clear of dust/debris/dead spiders and failing roof lining foam backing as all can set it off
Check the State of the car Main battery as ,,its V50, where batter condition + voltage Matter,

or

and leave the windows closed and return to a cool car,,,, (also may stop bird bombing missions wrecking your paintwork,,,,,

(Epic P-taking by anyone Seeing your car ,,,may happen)