Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ele system

Views : 493

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 27th, 2024, 19:11   #1
woodways3

Default Ele system

Hi this message has come up in the window .Elec System Service required.What does it mean ? 2002 V70S auto.
woodways3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2024, 20:26   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

I've never seen that message, nor one as brief. Perhaps others have.

Q1 is always: Were there any codes or "check engine light"? I'd assume you would've mentioned the latter at the very least.

The first thing I'd do is make sure the battery was fully charged.
After an overnight set, a starting battery should read 12.2V or more. Our cars are finicky with regards to low voltage.

Do you have a volt meter (or multimeter)?

You might benefit from removing the battery from the vehicle before charging.
Sometimes physical damage can reveal itself when the battery is removed.

Also, removal from the vehicle isolates the car's electrical system from amateurish charging procedures.
And remember, we're all amateurs here.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2024, 20:45   #3
woodways3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
I've never seen that message, nor one as brief. Perhaps others have.

Q1 is always: Were there any codes or "check engine light"? I'd assume you would've mentioned the latter at the very least.

The first thing I'd do is make sure the battery was fully charged.
After an overnight set, a starting battery should read 12.2V or more. Our cars are finicky with regards to low voltage.

Do you have a volt meter (or multimeter)?

You might benefit from removing the battery from the vehicle before charging.
Sometimes physical damage can reveal itself when the battery is removed.

Also, removal from the vehicle isolates the car's electrical system from amateurish charging procedures.
And remember, we're all amateurs here.
HI the car is with my daughter in Portugal she's driven a few thousand miles .It starts fine and it had a recon alternater fitted a couple of years ago .Would codes show up in the window without a scanner ?
Old May 27th, 2024, 21:31   #4
stuart bowes
just trying to be helpful

Question

Probably need a proper scanner not the usual cheap obd2 which I'm guessing would only show the basic engine faults at best (mine doesn't even connect)

These power system faults do get mentioned from time to time and the prevailing comments tend to be alternator related, there's a .. I want to say, resistor? Rectifier? .. on there that also could be the problem . Very vague from me sorry . Would start by searching on alternator faults and seeing what other people have said

That is once you've checked the battery as George rightly says

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2024, 21:44   #5
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Hey s.b. I should plan a trip by making stops with my PPC reader to help members.

To woodways3: I believe the familiar format codes (P0442 etc.) do not appear on that screen but I have seen machine language codes, say, a "56" or the like, in it.
There might be a button press sequence which will reveal these numbers, but a more competent reader should be used.

Attaching a charger on the battery and cleaning the terminals -both posts and clamps...with baking soda and water- has always been Step #1.

Can your daughter do any of this herself? Likely she does not have a charger.

Also, as s.b. alluded, parts within the alternator can fail and are part of good quality rebuilds. The rectifier and voltage regulator can fail....even in relatively new rebuilds.

Before these problems occur is when a common "charging system check" can pay off. Sorry I'm an ocean away.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2024, 21:56   #6
stuart bowes
just trying to be helpful

Voltage regulator . That's what I was thinking of cheers

-------------------------
mini project - link
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post:
Old May 28th, 2024, 11:09   #7
woodways3

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodways3 View Post
HI the car is with my daughter in Portugal she's driven a few thousand miles .It starts fine and it had a recon alternater fitted a couple of years ago .Would codes show up in the window without a scanner ?
Would this message appear if the battery is on its lst legs ,its 4.5 years old which had a 3year warranty ?
Old May 28th, 2024, 14:45   #8
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

"Would this message appear if the battery is on its lst legs ,its 4.5 years old which had a 3year warranty ?"

Today's vehicles cause the battery to work harder. Parasitic losses are a common phenomenon.

Also, if indeed there is something wrong with the charging system, the expected life of a battery can be disregarded. An abused battery will fail sooner.

Does your daughter know how to check electrolyte level, for example?

With regards to the message appearing if the battery is on its last legs.....
The answer is yes. The elaborate communications systems in vehicles now-a-days feels weak voltage, and likely detects slower operation times, in an array of nodes. They have performance algorithms which will trigger a variety of warnings if each measured item isn't performing well.

For example: "Communications Error" is one message you can see and it can be generated by weak voltage.

It's more complicated than I can explain....but I know it's happening.

STEP #1: See to it the battery is 'present and accounted for'.

Last edited by Georgeandkira; May 28th, 2024 at 14:50.