Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 T8 Plus or Ultra - wheel size conundrum

Views : 751

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 23rd, 2024, 14:10   #11
Discoman

You will always get both sides of the story with tyre size discussions. Personally I think cars are going to lower profile tyres unnecessarily. Volvo used to give you more options with the ability to have air suspension on all three trim levels but no more so if you want air you have to go for larger wheels. Shame.

As for the OP, you could buy 19” or 20” wheels and run the car with them and put the 21” or 22” wheels back on when you sell it. The alternative is to run the OEM set up in the summer and run 19” wheels with winter tyres at other times when the pot hole risk is greater.
Old Jun 23rd, 2024, 14:40   #12
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

Personally I love the 22s, next tyre swap I am going to put mine back on, small rims whilst they look fine, it's not 22s which are my preference.

I will try something other than PZ4 NCS as whilst I think it is a good tyre from a performance/economy perspective I think the bulges and splits we had in its sidewalls would suggest it can't cope at that profile.

I may also try the xc90 size on mine, little bit wider, tiny bit more sidewall, only ~1% out, rim is wide enough to take it.

Last edited by sandys; Jun 23rd, 2024 at 14:43.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2024, 12:12   #13
Hogster

Well I did an extended test drive over some pretty rough roads of the Plus with the 20" wheels and no air suspension at the weekend, and I must say I was actually rather impressed. Not too crashy and comfortable enough for me.

Whilst I love the idea of the extra kit on the Ultra, and the undoubtable flexibility of the air suspension, I'm not sure I can quite stretch my budget to justify it compared with the Plus.