Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bent Push Rod

Views : 1918

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread : ColoradoAmazon

Old Jun 27th, 2024, 14:36   #21
ColoradoAmazon

I'll try washing it off. That makes me feel a little better. Thanks!
ColoradoAmazon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 14:53   #22
ColoradoAmazon

I put the new push rod in and adjusted the valves. They really weren't that out of spec in my opinion. I would say the worst one was maybe .022"/.024". The springs don't look like they are binding so I'm a little confused why this happened. The engine seems to be running fine and I have compression in cylinder #1 again.

I'm a little worried about my oil pressure. I'm getting 20-30psi (I haven't revved the engine past 2.5k rpm or left the garage yet) on a gauge I installed. I'm using Royal Purple Engine Break In Oil that is 10W30. So maybe that could be it.

Does that valve train look dry (this was after running engine for 1-2minutes)?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1765.jpg (126.4 KB, 7 views)
ColoradoAmazon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 16:50   #23
142 Guy
Master Member

I am thinking that you might have a flow issue. On my B20E, if I remove the oil filler cap at idle I will get sprayed with oil being flung off the #1 rockers.

When I started up my B20E after its rebuild, I removed the oil pressure switch and manually rotated the engine over multiple times until I got oil at the oil pressure switch port, re installed the switch and then with the spark plugs out used the starting motor to turn the motor over until I got oil coming out of the rocker stand. If the engine had been running for 2 minutes I expect that you should have oil flow at the rocker stand.

There is a procedure where you can remove the distributor and with an appropriate adapter use an electric drill to rotate the oil pump drive to cause oil to flow through the engine prior to a first start. The down side is that sometimes getting the distributor mated up with the oil pump again with everything in the correct position for timing can be an exercise in frustration.

I would be inclined to pull the plugs and crank the engine to confirm that you are getting flow out of the rocker stand. As I recall, oil flow comes up through the block between cylinders 2 and 3 and then takes a little bend through the head and enters the base of the third rocker stand. All 4 rocker stands have the same part number so it does not appear that mixing the stands during re assembly could cause a problem. If you ae not getting good flow then I would be inclined to remove the rocker stand and then crank the engine to see if you are getting good flow at the #3 rocker stand base. If not, then I think you have some disassembly to check for a flow obstructions. If you are getting good flow, then you may have to partially disassemble the rocker stand to check for obstructions.

At 850 RPM idle, my engine with a new oil pump has a pressure of about 15- 20 psi running 5W50 full synthetic. Oil pressure very much depends on temperature. On a warm / hot day, 20 psi at idle with 10W30 is probably in the ball park.

Last edited by 142 Guy; Today at 16:53.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 17:20   #24
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

CA;

I agree with 142Guy...I would also expect oil at the rockerworks and under the Valvecover after 2 min of runtime...and since you've experienced a Bent Push Rod, this could very likely have something to do with it (likely be the cause, so you may have just found the root cause...!).

If it was me, I'd remove the entire Rockershaft assembly, disable Ign, pull Sparkplugs and crank away...there better be oil getting pumped up to the Rockershaft assembly!

Good Hunting!
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post: