Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Charging failure Service urgent" plus red battery light

Views : 903

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 11th, 2024, 09:19   #11
Paul Bearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I know it may be a bit of a wait, but I'd be inclined to book it into a garage and don't use the car until then (if at all possible). I know its not a job you fancy doing yourself as you mentioned, so leave it to the professionals.

Short journeys to the shops won't help, although I know we all have to do it. Starting and stopping the engine puts pressure on the belt and the alternator. Its not a risk you want to take if at all possible. If that belt snaps or the alternator packs in, your engine will be destroyed. The whining noise is your warning.
Thanks for your reply, yes I am aware of the potential disaster, its a case of needs must, as it often the case when you need a car the most is when the damn things break down, I am under the doctor and may need hospital treatment, not that I would risk using the car for that, there are buses

I am quite capable of doing the replacement but am weary of mucking around with cars, so far no sign of when my bloke will have time to look at it, he is usually quite good and fits me in but wil have to wait and see

Awaiting a doctors call, then can take a look at the belt & alternator free play

What I am still unsure of is the whining noise that started a few weeks back, as its only in motion I can't tell what it is, could be the alternator bearings but equally could be tensioner or something totally different
Paul Bearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2024, 09:46   #12
Simmy
Premier Member

check for any local mobile mechanics some have mileage limitations that they will travel but it another option for you. to consider ask for a quote not an estimate so the job is not open ended
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11th, 2024, 09:57   #13
Paul Bearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
check for any local mobile mechanics some have mileage limitations that they will travel but it another option for you. to consider ask for a quote not an estimate so the job is not open ended
Thanks yes have considered it but like most garages they are booked up with tourists
Old Jul 11th, 2024, 10:34   #14
Simmy
Premier Member

tell them you are a tourist sometimes you just need to work the system a little good luck i hope you find a solution soon.
Old Jul 11th, 2024, 10:38   #15
Paul Bearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
tell them you are a tourist sometimes you just need to work the system a little good luck i hope you find a solution soon.
Its a nice thought but I don't think they prioritise tourists, its just that there are so many of them at this time of year

As sods law would have it, just had a call from my youngest daughter whose car is also causing trouble, and now I have a doctors appointment this afternoon

It never rains, but it pours, oh joy
Old Jul 11th, 2024, 11:42   #16
Paul Bearer

Well had a look as best I could just now

I can't get anywhere near the belt to say if its loose, tight or to check the bearings on the alternator

So as I said it stood for over 9 days unused, and has only done three miles since

Checking the battery this morning its 11.9v before starting

On start up and tick over its 14.2+v

Left it running a few minutes, no lack of charge warning messages but that only came up after a couple of miles before

No sign of a whine or noise of any sort from the alternator area, the Aux belt was changed in December 2022
Old Jul 11th, 2024, 13:58   #17
Whyman
Premier Member

A fully charged battery should read 12.7v each of the 6 cells gives just over 2.1v.

At 11.9 v your battery is effectively dead but might just start the engine.

How old is the battery? It might be time for a new one!
Old Jul 11th, 2024, 15:21   #18
Kev0607
Premier Member

You said it had a new battery in September 2022, but what battery is it? (Brand/what cold cranking amps). CCA should be written on the top of it somewhere.

Maybe the alternator isn't your problem. The battery could be.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 11th, 2024, 16:18   #19
Simmy
Premier Member

with readings like the ones posted i too would suspect the battery little or low useage of cars is not good i'm surprised the op dose not have a multitude of warning lights/ codes showing as i have said before volvos are very intolerant of low voltage situations.
Old Jul 11th, 2024, 17:12   #20
Kev0607
Premier Member

Yeah. If the battery is iffy and the car is only doing short journeys, its not getting time to charge up properly.