Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S60R Heard a bang and no more AWD - Rear Diff or angle gear

Views : 1424

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 11th, 2009, 18:39   #1
sdowd

Default S60R Heard a bang and no more AWD - Rear Diff or angle gear

Hi
I notice a recent whining in my drive train. I had a local mechanic look at car, but when we took the car for a drive we could not hear the noise. Noticed nothing underneath on a lift - no oil leaks etc.
Whine increased pitch with increase in speed and got louder in past two days.

Today while joining traffic from a junction, under hard acceleration to right the wheels went over some "cats eyes" in the road and I heard a big bang, resulting in no AWD. It may also be of note that while reversing out of a parking space 5 mins earlier I heard a single small metallic bang - a bit like gears snagging.

Anyway, I was hoping for some pointers - angle gear of rear diff - I think the bigger bang came from the back. I can also hear a faint tapping in the back end when moving very slowly while turning.

The angle gear issue seems to happen all the S60R's - have Volvo acknolowdegded this as an issue. My car is out of Volvo warranty 5 months, but I do have an aftermarket warranty. I am afraid though that they will hide behind a wear and tear clause in the fine print.

2006 S60R - Usual specs with RICA S/W.
sdowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 15:45   #2
Suterman
240 Turbo

I would expect wear and tear to mean stuff like tyres, battery and brake pads etc.

I would pester them or threaten to expose them to the media if they dont fix it.

sounds like a differential maybe???
1985 Bedford CF2 B230E
Suterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 15:48   #3
FaKaWi
Master Member

You'll have another issue getting the warranty company to pay out looking at your signature. Hope you have a PPC, else if they inspect the car they'll spot the remap when they interrogate the ECU.
FaKaWi is offline   Reply With Quote