Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo S40 acting up!!

Views : 1675

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 9th, 2012, 09:47   #1
knutgraf

Exclamation Volvo S40 acting up!!

I have a 2005 Volvo S40 that started acting up last night. The following things started happening just after I started driving:

"Boot lid open" message appeared
Wipers started going with no way to turn them off
Electric windows did not work
Indicators not working, but hazards did
Error message: SRS Service Urgent and Anti-Skid Service
Fuel gauge not working
Central locking not working
Alarm can activate, but went off after about 20 minutes
Windscreen washer not working.

I have no idea why all of this has happened, and I am hoping that it won't cost me an arm and a leg to get fixed.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong here?

Thanks!!
knutgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 13:27   #2
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knutgraf View Post
I have a 2005 Volvo S40 that started acting up last night. The following things started happening just after I started driving:

"Boot lid open" message appeared
Wipers started going with no way to turn them off
Electric windows did not work
Indicators not working, but hazards did
Error message: SRS Service Urgent and Anti-Skid Service
Fuel gauge not working
Central locking not working
Alarm can activate, but went off after about 20 minutes
Windscreen washer not working.

I have no idea why all of this has happened, and I am hoping that it won't cost me an arm and a leg to get fixed.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong here?

Thanks!!
All those messages in one go are indicative of a failing/failed CEM, you are looking at approx £600 at a dealer to fix.

Think of the CEM as a juntion box where laods of other systems join to talk to the car/ECU. It is quite a major part.

Have you done or havd any work done to the car recently? Particularly a pollen filter changed?

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SonyVaio For This Useful Post:
Old May 9th, 2012, 20:21   #3
knutgraf

No, haven't had any work done in about 6 months on it. Heard today though that it might have happened when someone got into the car and accidentally kicked the cover underneath the glove compartment. Was told that I could carefully open and see if the "thingies" are aligned. Do not remember what it was called, but they might have gotten out of position and that this could cause the problems I'm having. Will have a look at this tomorrow.
Old May 9th, 2012, 20:36   #4
Bendolfc
Premier Member

The CEM is just above the carpet type trim under the glovebox, the carpet just clips on (or dangles down if it's like mine and the clips are broken), just check all the connections are properly plugged in.
Bendolfc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 21:09   #5
gilgamesh1066

Sounds similar to what I experienced last year.

Turned out that a connector into one of the control units located in the passenger foot well had been dislodged when wife stuffed her shopping bags in there (expensive shopping trip).

Took Volvo main dealer a while to find it but popped it back in and cable tied it in place so it couldn't happen again. Not had any problems since.

Full story here.......

http://volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=115184

Worth a check but you'll need a strong back and a good torch up there.

Good Luck....!!
gilgamesh1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 21:42   #6
knutgraf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgamesh1066 View Post
Sounds similar to what I experienced last year.

Turned out that a connector into one of the control units located in the passenger foot well had been dislodged when wife stuffed her shopping bags in there (expensive shopping trip).

Took Volvo main dealer a while to find it but popped it back in and cable tied it in place so it couldn't happen again. Not had any problems since.

Full story here.......

http://volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=115184

Worth a check but you'll need a strong back and a good torch up there.

Good Luck....!!
Thank you everyone for your help! I was afraid that I would have to spend a€1,000 on getting this fixed, but it looks like I may get away with only a fraction of this now. I took off the wipers when I drove home last night as they were driving me mad, so will have to take the car in on a dry day. Luckily the misses does not use her car to work, so I am good to go with her car until this is sorted out.

Tags
central locking, indicators, volvo s40, windows, wipers