Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Red warning light - oil - just had a change

Views : 1741

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 17th, 2021, 19:50   #1
BurnsieUK

Default Red warning light - oil - just had a change

So last year during lockdown I've had an engine rebuild.

A lot of the electronics options on the car have never been the same since (cheers Volvo!).these are things like hill start handbreak, reversing sensors etc.

Last year when I got my car back from the garage it got a red oil warning light. This was resolved by the garage but I can't remember how

A few weeks ago during a long drive my car said that I had low oil. Misreading the warning I put 2L in. It said I was on the low limit. After putting the additional oil in it said my tank was full and and I needed an engine service.

I took it to a garage on a Saturday and they drained nearly 6L. They wondered if I had an issue with my electronic dipstick. They managed to clear all the warnings using their computer.

On the way home yesterday (short drive), I got a low oil warning. (Fill 0.5). I am only doing short trips at the moment. The warning comes on after about 10 minutes. Sometimes it requires me to fill a litre and other times it is half a litre.

However, on the way home today I got a red warning saying low oil. On checking my electronic dipstick it says that I have no oil. However the garage filled the oil nearly to the top limit (5L).

I do not know what to do other than take it back to the garage. It obviously could be leaking somewhere but I have found no evidence of that. All the electronic dipstick sensor has broken.

Any advice? Oh for the days of being able to manually check stuff!!
BurnsieUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2021, 20:52   #2
Deck1ng
Master Member

I would sort the dip stick problem, either buy a new sensor or purchase the “police dip stick extension”. Providing you are able to fit it. The fitting is one bolt, I mean can your vehicle take the extension?
Until you know what the oil level is in the engine, how on earth are you going to know if it’s full or empty.
The alternative could be another rebuild.
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2021, 21:07   #3
wilbydoughboy

I would completely drain the engine oil and measure how much came out and put back the same oil but the correct amount as per the manual but not the maximum, so maybe 5.6 litres if the maximum is 6. I would drive the car for a good few miles and hope the electronic reading adjusts to read correctly but make sure that oil is not leaking etc.
Old May 17th, 2021, 21:19   #4
BurnsieUK

But I only had it changed the other day and lots came out.... They said lots went back in too!

Why do you suggest another rebuild Deck?

This car drinks money... Volvos don't break they say.....
Old May 17th, 2021, 21:57   #5
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsieUK View Post
But I only had it changed the other day and lots came out.... They said lots went back in too!

Why did you have an engine rebuild? Is it a D5?

If the garage drained nearly 6L & refilled it with 5L, it’s low on oil (700ml low).

These vehicles take 5.7 litres of oil. Then you need to calibrate the oil quantity sensor via a scan tool.

When you say “a” garage, do they actually know what they’re doing? Sounds like they don’t.

All cars break, even a Rolls Royce.

Last edited by Kev0607; May 17th, 2021 at 22:02.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2021, 22:10   #6
BurnsieUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Why did you have an engine rebuild? Is it a D5?

If the garage drained nearly 6L & refilled it with 5L, it’s low on oil (700ml low).

These vehicles take 5.7 litres of oil. Then you need to calibrate the oil quantity sensor via a scan tool.

When you say “a” garage, do they actually know what they’re doing? Sounds like they don’t.

All cars break, even a Rolls Royce.
The timing belt wasn't changed at the scheduled time.... Pistons go smash into camshaft!

But it's driven faultless since then.

It's a D3.

It should have something like 5.7L in it, but I put 2L when I said it was low.... That should be half full.... Turns out very full!!!!
Old May 17th, 2021, 22:15   #7
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
The timing belt wasn't changed at the scheduled time.... Pistons go smash into camshaft!

But it's driven faultless since then.

It's a D3.

It should have something like 5.7L in it, but I put 2L when I said it was low.... That should be half full.... Turns out very full!!!!
Sounds like it was overfilled in the first place.

The garage need to drain the oil fully, refill with 5.7L & then reset the oil level sensor so the car knows the oil level is right. If the garage doesn’t know exactly how much oil they put in, then this is the only way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old May 17th, 2021, 22:28   #8
BurnsieUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Sounds like it was overfilled in the first place.

The garage need to drain the oil fully, refill with 5.7L & then reset the oil level sensor so the car knows the oil level is right. If the garage doesn’t know exactly how much oil they put in, then this is the only way.
That's what he said he did.. he was confused by all the codes... For example the turbo boost issue which he is was due to the overfill.... And light sensors, but that's another story
Old May 17th, 2021, 22:29   #9
Deck1ng
Master Member

Quote:

I was not suggesting you have another rebuild, I was trying to point out if you don’t get to grips with the amount of oil in the engine, there could be irreparable damage done.
I’m sure it won’t come to that 😊
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2021, 22:44   #10
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
That's what he said he did.. he was confused by all the codes... For example the turbo boost issue which he is was due to the overfill.... And light sensors, but that's another story
I don’t think so. If he did, you wouldn’t have low oil warnings... the oil quantity would be correct & the oil sensor would have been reset so the car knows the oil quantity is where it should be.

Find a garage that knows what they’re doing.