Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Shiny bits in engine oil 2015 Xc60 D4 2l

Views : 513

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 15th, 2023, 19:16   #1
toml2020

Default Shiny bits in engine oil 2015 Xc60 D4 2l

By chance I used a funnel with built in filter to put my used engine oil into a container for disposal. I saw a few metal bits which I suppose indicate a bearing failure.
What I saw were about 10 pieces between 2 to 5mm in size, half were steel and half were soft metal which looked like it had been squashed into slithers.

Mileage is 60k, and no symptoms at the moment like knocking noises etc, it runs fine.

So what would you do? Investigate the cause, drive until knocking or something else?
I would rather fix it than sell.

It seems that the sump could be removed, just looks like intercooler pipe needs dismantling, but then could I get access to the big ends and crank bearings for checking?

I'd be interested if others have seen this and what caused it.
I saw a recall for crank hardening issue, but my chassis number is not in the range affected.. well according to volvo.
toml2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2023, 20:25   #2
SnineT
Premier Member

I'd be looking to get rid off asap, does your turbo sound ok, no siren noises?

Other than that maybe the heads been off it before and the cleaning wasn't done properly and shards got into an oilway, assuming you didn't buy it new it's possible it's had new cams in the past and pieces of the old one if it snapped didn't get pulled out.
24-01-2024 15:41
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2023, 22:22   #3
GrahamBrown1
Register Keeper - S80, P2, and P3

I’m fairly certain these have a balancer unit fitted. There was issues with the units becoming noisey if I remember correct. Anyhow this would need to be removed before you get a look at the crank and I imagine it will be timed to the crank.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 15:09   #4
toml2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnineT View Post
I'd be looking to get rid off asap, does your turbo sound ok, no siren noises?

Other than that maybe the heads been off it before and the cleaning wasn't done properly and shards got into an oilway, assuming you didn't buy it new it's possible it's had new cams in the past and pieces of the old one if it snapped didn't get pulled out.
no noises, all runs as it should. If I hadn't filtered the old engine oil I wouldnt suspect anything.. Its possible someone has done work on the top end, maybe swarf entered the oil feed to the crank or big end bearings..
The Following User Says Thank You to toml2020 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 15:12   #5
toml2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamBrown1 View Post
I’m fairly certain these have a balancer unit fitted. There was issues with the units becoming noisey if I remember correct. Anyhow this would need to be removed before you get a look at the crank and I imagine it will be timed to the crank.
I was planning to take the sump off, but wondered if this is a common problem and know in advance what I might find.. just waiting for the weather to sort itself out as Im working on an exposed driveway
Old Jan 16th, 2023, 17:13   #6
SnineT
Premier Member

Couple of thoughts Tom.

The filter should've caught this and if you still have the old one split it open and see whats inside it.

Maybe some cheap 5-30w and do a couple of flushes with it but keep it sensible down the road for 5 miles or just let it idle and low rev it, drain and sieve it as you did before each time to see if there's anymore of it coming out, if you keep it clean and filter it between changes you should be able to use the same oil over and over. When you're confident no more metal is coming out put a flush in last drop let it idle a while and then drop it and new filter and proper spec oil it.

One last silly thing is was the sump washer still there? and if it was was it a thickish one or gasket thin as it might've been that delaminating a bit that you found in the oil, long shot but rule nothing out.

Keep it updated.
24-01-2024 15:41
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
xc60 bearing failure d4