Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 T8 Plus or Ultra - wheel size conundrum

Views : 752

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 17th, 2024, 17:52   #1
Hogster

Default XC90 T8 Plus or Ultra - wheel size conundrum

I'm looking at getting an XC90 T8 and have been looking at the Plus trim. I tested one at the weekend and it was lovely but a little bit crashy on poor road surfaces. I'm now wondering about looking at the Ultra to get the air suspension (and also the HUD, which I like so much on my V60), but I worry about the larger wheels & tyres being destroyed by potholes, and the ride just offsetting the benefits of the air suspension.

Am I right to be concerned about the 21s? I've only had small wheels (17s on my V60!) in the past so this is quite the jump for me!

Has anyone tried to order 20" or 19" wheels through their dealer as part of the new car order (even though the order is now placed through Volvo directly) so that they're fitted from the start? Do you think I could do some kind of deal to exchange for the 21s?

I know various people have posted about reducing from 22" to 20", but not so much the standard fit 21".

Also, is anyone living with the Plus and wish you'd gone with the Ultimate/Ultra in hindsight?

Thanks.
Old Jun 17th, 2024, 20:34   #2
rhd443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogster View Post
I'm looking at getting an XC90 T8 and have been looking at the Plus trim. I tested one at the weekend and it was lovely but a little bit crashy on poor road surfaces. I'm now wondering about looking at the Ultra to get the air suspension (and also the HUD, which I like so much on my V60), but I worry about the larger wheels & tyres being destroyed by potholes, and the ride just offsetting the benefits of the air suspension.

Am I right to be concerned about the 21s? I've only had small wheels (17s on my V60!) in the past so this is quite the jump for me!

Has anyone tried to order 20" or 19" wheels through their dealer as part of the new car order (even though the order is now placed through Volvo directly) so that they're fitted from the start? Do you think I could do some kind of deal to exchange for the 21s?

I know various people have posted about reducing from 22" to 20", but not so much the standard fit 21".

Also, is anyone living with the Plus and wish you'd gone with the Ultimate/Ultra in hindsight?

Thanks.
Air ride probably keeps road noise down due to the different connections to the wheels, with decent quality tyres potholes shouldn't be an issue, only becomes an issue when you fit cheap brands and they blow out and bulge on hard impact.

You could always downsize later?
rhd443 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rhd443 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2024, 20:57   #3
Hogster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhd443 View Post
Air ride probably keeps road noise down due to the different connections to the wheels, with decent quality tyres potholes shouldn't be an issue, only becomes an issue when you fit cheap brands and they blow out and bulge on hard impact.

You could always downsize later?
It's a good point about the tyre quality and road noise. I'll see if I can find one to test drive to compare.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hogster For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2024, 07:43   #4
Tim Cullis

I'm with you regarding wheel sizes. I've yet to see an XC90 being driven in such a way that low profile wheels are necessary for the firmer cornering. Most seem to be used as serene cruisers.

My MY23 XC90 Plus has the smaller 20-in wheels which was a 'plus' for me, and these 5-spoke 20-in wheels are standard on the Plus.

In the last few days I've been driving a MY24 Plus courtesy XC90 with 21-in rather than 20-in wheels and I really noticed the difference over uneven road surfaces.

As far as models go, it seems very few people order a Momentum/Core XC90. The Plus model adds the majority of the bells and whistles that most regard as 'essential' such as the panoramic sunroof and 360º camera.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Cullis For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2024, 07:48   #5
CocoPops
VOC Member

My 2019 R-Design had 20" wheels and standard suspension, I think it rides better than my 2023 Ultimate on 21" with AirSuspension.

I also much prefer the ride when I switch to my 19" winter wheels and tyres.

BUT, I'd rather the higher spec car, with the associated larger wheels even if the ride is poorer I'm just that way inclined.
The Following User Says Thank You to CocoPops For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 19th, 2024, 11:52   #6
Hogster

Thanks to you both - that's really useful feedback.
Old Jun 19th, 2024, 20:53   #7
Murph7355

I'm in the opposite camp to Cocopops.

I think our new Ultimate, 21" on air suspension, rides better than our 2016 D5 Momentum on 20"s.

I'd started to look for 19"s for similar reasons to you guys, but at the moment don't really see the need. I even quite like the way the 21"s look, which I didn't initially.

On top of the ride, it's also a *lot* quieter, and I think a good chunk of that is down to the suspension being less crashy.

(It was never a "problem" on the D5...but then we came from a D5 mk1 which was worse still ).
Murph7355 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Murph7355 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 22nd, 2024, 14:25   #8
CanaryYellow

I've got a 21 B5P Inscription Pro, 21 inch wheels with air suspension.

I have no issues with the ride and, touch wood, I haven't had any issues with tyres.
CanaryYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2024, 14:35   #9
Volvocano

Quote:
Originally Posted by CocoPops View Post
My 2019 R-Design had 20" wheels and standard suspension, I think it rides better than my 2023 Ultimate on 21" with AirSuspension.

I also much prefer the ride when I switch to my 19" winter wheels and tyres.
Wow, the later cars ride even worse? It amazes me how road test after road test calls the XC90 a comfortable car - the suspension is a crashy mess - terrible spring and damping decisions and bump/thump suppression is awful - but then the excessive stiffness could be to make it through the Elk test.

I have a 2018 T8 on 20 inch rims - the ride is awful. I've put All Terrain tyres on it now, the ride is so poor anyway, making it slightly worse for 60K tyre life is worth the compromise. It's not as if I'm spoiling a nice riding car - it's already bad.
Volvocano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2024, 14:38   #10
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

Some times its just the tyre construction that makes the difference, I downsized from 22 to 20, the 22s had better ride comfort as I bought the wrong tyre on 20s which had a stiffer sidewall, on the plus side the Volvo handled much better.