Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

App - Searchable Support Manual

Views : 799

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2024, 11:29   #1
MG14

Default App - Searchable Support Manual

Am I going blind l, or has the searchable support manual disappeared from the current iteration of the app? Not that I’m a huge fan of doing it this way, or of the app in general, but it was the best way of looking things up after Volvo deleted the separate manual app

Last edited by MG14; Jul 7th, 2024 at 12:27.
MG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 16:51   #2
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG14 View Post
Am I going blind l, or has the searchable support manual disappeared from the current iteration of the app? Not that I’m a huge fan of doing it this way, or of the app in general, but it was the best way of looking things up after Volvo deleted the separate manual app
I think you are right. I've just changed from a Sensus car to a Google and found facilities in the old app missing, e.g. send destination to car. It's all Google now, even the User Manual can only be read on line unless you are in the car, and it's very basic compared to the one for my MY18 V60.
Moving towards driverless cars?
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 17:50   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG14 View Post
If you mean the Volvo car app on your phone or other device, the manual is still there but you have to type in what you are looking for, then it will be in recently viewed list.
It is in the help section, 4th icon from the left, explore your maual.
Screenshot_20240707-174216_Volvo Cars.jpg

Screenshot_20240707-174243_Volvo Cars.jpg
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 18:04   #4
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nu11eaf View Post
If you mean the Volvo car app on your phone or other device, the manual is still there but you have to type in what you are looking for, then it will be in recently viewed list.
It is in the help section, 4th icon from the left, explore your maual.
Note quite now! 'Explore your manual' is now 'Visit our help center' which takes you to the volvocars.com website. Then you have to select your country, in my case 'Europe/United Kingdom' then select your car. A bit of a phaff to say the least. If you are offline for any reason then it can't be read. My previous manual I could download to my laptop and read it anywhere at anytime without the internet.
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 18:15   #5
MG14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzpop View Post
Note quite now! 'Explore your manual' is now 'Visit our help center' which takes you to the volvocars.com website. Then you have to select your country, in my case 'Europe/United Kingdom' then select your car. A bit of a phaff to say the least. If you are offline for any reason then it can't be read. My previous manual I could download to my laptop and read it anywhere at anytime without the internet.
Yes, that’s how I see it. It’s no longer embedded in the app, as it was in nu11eaf’s post.
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 20:40   #6
SteEnt

Quote:
I think you are right. I've just changed from a Sensus car to a Google and found facilities in the old app missing, e.g. send destination to car. It's all Google now, even the User Manual can only be read on line unless you are in the car, and it's very basic compared to the one for my MY18 V60.
Moving towards driverless cars?
You don't need a "send to vehicle" function with it running on google.
If you search where you want to go on Google maps on your phone, it will show up as an existing destination in your recent searches in the car.
If you still have the destination up on your phone, it usually is already right there in the car to accept.
Using Google on these cars has a lot of advantages of providing a seamless ecosystem.
If only there was a WhatsApp or iMessage app for the car.
SteEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 21:30   #7
Tony H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteEnt View Post
If only there was a WhatsApp or iMessage app for the car.
Does that mean the Google OS doesn't read your text messages out to you, or allow you to create a reply by voice?

If so, that is a significant reason not to buy one of the new V60/V90s that are going back on the market.
Tony H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 22:21   #8
Wizzpop
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony H View Post
Does that mean the Google OS doesn't read your text messages out to you, or allow you to create a reply by voice?

If so, that is a significant reason not to buy one of the new V60/V90s that are going back on the market.
Haven't tried it but the User Manual says;

"Receiving text messages
When the phone is connected to the car, a notification is shown at the top of the centre display when a new text message is received. Choose whether to play back the message by tapping on the screen or using voice control.

It is also possible to choose to mute the conversation. In which case, no more notifications for the conversation are shown while driving.
Replying to text messages

When a text message has been read out, it is possible to dictate a reply. Follow the instructions given by the voice control system.
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 23:03   #9
Tony Gathercole

Quote:
Haven't tried it but the User Manual says;

"Receiving text messages
When the phone is connected to the car, a notification is shown at the top of the centre display when a new text message is received. Choose whether to play back the message by tapping on the screen or using voice control.

It is also possible to choose to mute the conversation. In which case, no more notifications for the conversation are shown while driving.
Replying to text messages

When a text message has been read out, it is possible to dictate a reply. Follow the instructions given by the voice control system.
Yes, I can confirm that text messages can be read under voice command - when one arrives any audio playing is interupted and the offer to read is made. I've also heard (but not used) that the system offers to respond, and so I don't know if it's limited to pre-configured messages or how an option to dictate a message works.

HOWEVER - I think that it is limited to SMS text messages, not WhatsApp or iMessages - not least because I've not seen either app in the car's PlayStore and I'm fairly sure that that it's not built-in to AAOS.
Old Jul 8th, 2024, 11:10   #10
Wizzpop
Master Member

I found another issue with the online manual. Tried to open the refuelling flap by pushing it gently. Didn't open as it seemed to be locked. Dropped by the dealer who showed me a button adjacent to the tailgate button. This button needs to be pressed to unlock the flap before pressing the flap to open it. That isn't mentioned at all in the manual. Even the button is left off the picture.
Apparently you can buy a comprehensive user manual for a mere £80!