Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Possibly buying an XC60, is the D4 (2.4) a good engine?

Views : 402

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 7th, 2024, 19:39   #1
AndyNorthYorks

Default Possibly buying an XC60, is the D4 (2.4) a good engine?

Hi all, I think I've just about settled on getting an XC60, it'd be replacing my aging (and now quite costly) 17 year old Nissan X-Trail.

I was initially looking for a manual AWD diesel, most likely the D4 (2.4) version, but manual gearbox XC60s seem to be quite a rarity unless you want 2 wheel drive?

A local garage has a 2017 D4 AWD auto with 105k on the clock, they also have a 2013 D5 AWD with a similar mileage. I'm leaning towards the D4 purely based on fuel consumption, but from what I've read here and there, the D5 seems to be very popular.

Is the D4 (2.4) a good engine choice? I don't drive that many miles if that matters?

Thanks
AndyNorthYorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 20:01   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

It depends what's important to you. Will this car be travelling to ULEZ/clean air zones like Birmingham or London? If so, the 2013 D5 won't be ULEZ/euro 6 complaint and would be subject to fees. The D4 would, as its a 2017 model with euro 6 emissions rating.

Both vehicles having 2.4 litre engines have 5 cylinder engines. These are very good. If you said the XC60 had a 2.0 litre engine, that would be a VEA engine and they just aren't as good as the older 5 cylinder ones. I would have told you to be prepared for high oil consumption and EGR/EGR cooler issues with a 2.0 litre D4, which are expensive fixes. Going for a 5 cylinder 2.4 is definitely the better option.

If the price was right, the 2017 is the one to go for. It'll have the newer dash and headlights.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jul 7th, 2024 at 20:43.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 20:20   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Assuming they are both Mk 1 XC60 (2017 was the change year) - it's the same engine, but with a different turbo and state of tune.

On the Mk 1 XC60 with AWD, both the D4 and the D5 are 2.4 5-cylinder. On 2015 MY and later, D4 2WD cars are the 2.0 4-cylinder VEA engine.

On the 2013 car check it's the facelift with new headlights and dash with Sensus - much better than earlier cars.

As he said ^^^ the 2017 car will be Euro 6 compliant if you ever have to venture into a city with a low emission wallet emptying zone.

Engine wise, there is nothing to choose from between them - it depends if you want a little more oooomph. Difference in economy will be small.

What are the specs? LUX models preferred with nicer instruments and much better headlights.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 21:03   #4
GrahamBrown1
Register Keeper - S80, P2, and P3

Having guessed which garage you mean and had a look, the 2017 is a much nicer car. The wheels won’t corrode like those fitted to the 2013. I have same on our XC70. The 2017 also is facelifted and has the nice digital TFT display dash.

The engine will be spot on as all ready mentioned.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux
GrahamBrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrahamBrown1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 7th, 2024, 21:50   #5
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

If it's Hutton Bros - the 2013 car is pre facelift (but does have sensus) judging by the number plate it's an ex-Volvo staff/press car so will have every extra - but it's the older model.

Personally I'd got the for 2015 SE Lux, everything you need, the 2017 R-Design will have harder suspension and a harsh ride (but more sporty...)
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2024, 07:35   #6
AndyNorthYorks

Thanks all, that's very much appreciated. I hadn't realised that the D4 2.4 was also a 5 cylinder engine.

I prefer the look of the 2017 model, well the colour is more to my liking anyway and it's a bit newer too. It does have a bit of damage to the paint on the near side rear wheel arch and I'm waiting to hear if the timing belt service has been done. I'm sure they'll do the timing belt and service if needed though.

One minor thing that I noticed, the electric boot opening motor seemed a little noisier than I'd have expected (at least I could hear it operating). Is that normal?
Old Jul 8th, 2024, 08:20   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyNorthYorks View Post
Thanks all, that's very much appreciated. I hadn't realised that the D4 2.4 was also a 5 cylinder engine.

I prefer the look of the 2017 model, well the colour is more to my liking anyway and it's a bit newer too. It does have a bit of damage to the paint on the near side rear wheel arch and I'm waiting to hear if the timing belt service has been done. I'm sure they'll do the timing belt and service if needed though.

One minor thing that I noticed, the electric boot opening motor seemed a little noisier than I'd have expected (at least I could hear it operating). Is that normal?
Hutton Bros do have a good reputation, a few other members on here have bought cars in the past and I believe happy with the experience.

Cambelts are due at 108k or 10 years (whichever is first) so it's quite reasonable to expect that a car for sale with 105k on it would have it done (it's a £1,000 major service at a dealer, you don't want to be paying for that a few months after a new car purchase).

The electric tailgate does make a whirring noise when in operation - like an electric motor, that's quite normal.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old Jul 8th, 2024, 12:14   #8
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:

In the MK1 XC60 its a 5 cylinder. When the MK2 came out, they changed to 2.0 litre 4 cylinder VEA engines. The VEA engines are completely different to the older 5 cylinder ones. The VEA's aren't as good, in my opinion and I've had Volvo mechanics tell me the same. Shame really... Some people have been okay with them and not had too much trouble, but some have had costly repairs due to their known issues with oil consumption and EGR problems. It wouldn't be a chance I'd take personally... I wouldn't buy a VEA. I'd still go for the 5 cylinder 2.4 euro 6 (if that was required) or a euro 5 or something with the 5 cylinder engine if ULEZ didn't matter. Alternatively, if they weren't options, I'd buy another car. I won't have a VEA Volvo... No chance. No offence to anyone that does, of course.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jul 8th, 2024 at 12:21.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2024, 16:14   #9
AndyNorthYorks

I've been over to Hutton Bros this afternoon and had a test drive of the 17 plate XC60, the drive seemed fine and I've put down a deposit on the car.

I'd just like to say thanks again for your thoughts and advice, it's put my mind at rest.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AndyNorthYorks For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2024, 20:39   #10
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
I've been over to Hutton Bros this afternoon and had a test drive of the 17 plate XC60, the drive seemed fine and I've put down a deposit on the car.

I'd just like to say thanks again for your thoughts and advice, it's put my mind at rest.
Marvellous - welcome to the club. You will find it very addictive after an x-trail I think....
1976 Massey Ferguson 135